Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need info on old RAM in a New PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DillonM

DillonM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

I had an old Sony Vaio PC. I believe it was the same model PCV-RX as my new one might have been 500-something (i think it was made whenever the Windows ME was released. The RAM I saved out of it had 2 different types one (I couldn't find the discription on the internet and there's no sticker)is HYUNDAI HY57V658020B 9946B TC-10P. The other (With sticker)says: Crucial Technologies, ct16m64s4d8e.8ltg, 120MB, SYNCH, 100MHz, CL2. Both are completely different sizes. Anyway, a few months ago I bought a "Newer" Vaio, that came with Windows XP Home a PCV RX830. I think it says NANYA, on the RAM. I opened up the System Properties and it says Pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz 2.66GHz, 480MB of RAM. I then ran a scan on www.crucial.com and here's the results:

512MB Current Memory
2 empty slots
Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 512MB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

* Maximum Memory Capacity: 1536MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
* Available Memory Slots: 2
* Total Memory Slots: 3
* Dual Channel Support: No
* CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
* CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz Model 2, Stepping 7
* CPU Speed: 2655 MHz

Q: Will my system recognize the maximum upgrade?

A: Possibly

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS.

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and can I mix speeds?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC2700 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

Q: How much memory can my computer handle?

A: 1536MB.

Adding the maximum amount of memory will improve performance and help extend the useful life of your system as you run increasingly demanding software applications in the future.

Q: Do I have to install matching pairs?

A: No.

No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.

Q: Does my computer support dual-channel memory?

Your system does not support dual channel.

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

I know I might be making a big deal out of two small RAM cards. But every little bit counts (and I can't afford any better :whistle:) So can I use all three of these? And then, if I can, Do you just install them when the computer's shut off, or do I need a disk? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Yes, you can use all three slots.

You do want to do this with the computer off. And no you won't need a disk.

I will add a word of caution, touch the metal of the case to discharge static electricity before you handle anything inside the case, or the RAM modules you are purchasing. ESDs (electrostatic discharges) can kill ICs.

There is a decent tutorial for installing RAM, you can read it here.

Edit: If the module that is currently installed in your computer is slower than the PC2700 which you are looking to purchase the new modules will run at the slower speed of that module.

Edited by dc3, 07 February 2011 - 12:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users