Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dumper

dumper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

:thumbsup: im on xp and have norton internet security 2005 and i find it takes forever to start up when i switch on .im new to computing so any simple advice would be welcome sorry i mean the computer not norton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:41 PM

Welcome to computing!

How old is your computer?

How much RAM does it have? To find out go to:
Start > right click on My Computer > Properties
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 02:47 PM

Tell us a little more so that people can advise. What sort of computer, processor, ram, hard drive, etc? When you say it takes forever to start are we talking about 30 seconds or 3 minutes?

Go to start/all programs/startup folder, this will show some of the programs that are loading at startup (there are other places where programs can be loaded at startup, but generally most of the programs in the startup folder are safe to delete. This won't delete the program, but should keep it from loading automatically.

Also do a ctrl/alt/del, click on task manager button and then click on the processes tab. Click on the top of the mem usage column to sort running processes by how much memory they are using. Give us an idea of the processes you have running and how much memory they are taking up.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

If you are not sure you can use this program to aquire the info.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
You can also try Start>Run>msconfig.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:30 PM

:thumbsup: im on xp and have norton internet security 2005 and i find it takes forever to start up when i switch on .im new to computing so any simple advice would be welcome sorry i mean the computer not norton

Well, there are a few ways to do about it but we need to know whats your specifications are like and from there we can whether it is the hardware that is pulling your computer down or there are software that is needlessly working behind it......
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#6 dumper

dumper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:20 PM

my ram is 1.66GHz512mb startup folder says 84bytes size on disc4,00kb harddrive total size57.2gb free space 49.3gb i dont know what this means but i hope its the info asked for.cheers dumper

#7 dumper

dumper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:21 PM

sorry time taken 1 to 2 mins

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 December 2005 - 03:47 PM

Your system should be fairly quick for basic tasks such as internet, word processing. Although it will be taxed if you do much gaming. Have you conduced a disk cleanup lately?

START>PROGRAMS>SYSTEM TOOLS>DISK CLEANUP.

This may help quite a bit. Also delete your internet temp files, and cookies. These two them, if you have not done them in awhile should speed up ypur system.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users