Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Windows 7 64bit] Cannot boot into windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nzcub3y

nzcub3y

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hello.

Im new to the site and decided to join because ive seen other peoples problems being fixed :)

My friends computer is not booting into windows. He said after installing a game on Steam his computer crashed (im assuming he meant restarted) and since then bluescreens at the windows loading screen.

The error message he is getting is: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC000000D, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I have spent many hours on various websites using the help of google but have found no solution to this problem yet.

So far i have tried the following: (i will update this as i continue to work throughout the night)

• -Using the cmd prompt on a win 7 dvd
  • Chkdsk c: /f
  • bootrec /FixMbr
  • bootrect /Fixboot
  • bootsect /nt60 c:
  • -tried removing un-nessesary hardware for booting and tried all of the ram sticks individually
  • -start up recovery on the windows 7 dvd and also in the f8 boot menu, both said startup cannot repair automatically
Im about to burn a hdd testing utility to cd so i can boot from it and check the hdd..

Does someone out there have any advice for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

- Nz Cub3y

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 nzcub3y

nzcub3y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

As I said in the first post, the machine will not boot into windows so I cannot download and run an application on it unless it is CD bootable.

- Nz Cub3y

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

Sorry, missed that. And when you get to the Advanced Boot Options screen (F8) do none of the options work (safe mode, last known good, etc)?

#5 nzcub3y

nzcub3y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

haha thats ok, sorry if my reply sounded snotty nope, its late :S

safe mode and last known config dont change it at all.

this issue is driving me insane lol, its about 2.30am here ive been at it for hours

This machine is really strange... there are two HDDs, one is SATA and one PATA. It appears there is the windows installation on one drive, and the other drive has the MBR for the other drives windows installation.

- Nz Cub3y

Edited by nzcub3y, 07 February 2011 - 08:41 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:39 AM

If you can't get into the OS and if none of the repair / recovery options work (and you seem to be trying all the right things) you may be relegated to restoring the system to original settings (if there's a recovery partition or disk, that is). Alternatively, as a last resort you can try a repair install: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

#7 nzcub3y

nzcub3y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Yeah ive tried so many different methods now. EDITim trying from another angle now. fingers crossed. nope didnt work

There doesnt appear to be any system restore points and this machine was custom built so no recovery partition either sadly :(

Ok ive just looked into doing a repair install from the link you provided, but within the warning section of that post it explicitly sates that you cannot preform repair install at time of boot, or within safe mode. :(

- Nz Cub3y

Edited by nzcub3y, 07 February 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

Have you thought about making a System Rescue Cd? http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
Or
http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT____CPR_FOR_YOUR_COMPUTER&front_id=12&lang=en&locale=en

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

Ok ive just looked into doing a repair install from the link you provided, but within the warning section of that post it explicitly sates that you cannot preform repair install at time of boot, or within safe mode. :(

- Nz Cub3y

You know what, you're absolutely right. I have been of zero help in this thread and I truly apologize for confusing the issue. Bad morning :(

#10 nzcub3y

nzcub3y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hey dont sweat it, haha.

after trying multiple different methods ive not been able to fix the stop error.
I have downloaded a boot cd with a copy of miniXP on it and copied all the files my friend wanted to keep onto an external and gonna do a fresh windows install.

Thanks for your help, even though the repair install couldnt work it gave me the idea to just do a fresh install so cheers :P

Will post once ive got the machine all up and running with the fresh install.

- Nz Cub3y

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the follow up and again - sorry for spinning your wheels.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users