Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scam warning: Microsoft support calls you??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:36 AM

I am posting this warning to prevent anyone from falling for this scam.

First and foremost, Microsoft does NOT call random software users with support, unless, you have contacted them first!

I have seen a recent mention of this topic posted on another web site that offers computer support help such as Bleepingcomputer.
I have also been contacted by several local people informing me that they have been contacted by telephone by individuals claiming to be Microsoft support personnel.

One person was contacted on February 6 2011 by telephone, by a person claiming to be from Microsoft support and claiming that information was sent to Microsoft support via windows error reporting and that their computer contained various viruses, 92 of them to be exact!

Strangely, this computer in question has a fresh install of Windows Vista on it and there are NO viruses on it!
The support person offered a program which would clean their machine of the infections, once they offered their credit card information.

Seriously, Microsoft does NOT call you to offer any services such as this. This is a SCAM!

Another person was also contacted by a person claiming to be from Microsoft support and also claimed Windows error reporting indicated their drive was missing critical files needed for Windows to run correctly, they were offered for a fee, that support would access their system via "REMOTE ASSISTANCE" to fix and correct the issues with the missing drivers!

Be aware, most of these calls come from over seas, mostly India according to the numbers on Caller I.D.s.
Some numbers were blocked from displaying on caller I.D.s.

Please do not fall for these scams, do NOT offer any personal information such as bank accounts or Social Security numbers, or your Windows product codes.

Simply hang up!

I hope my warning saves you all from becoming a victim of this scam, because that is exactly what this is a scam to take you for your money and or to clean out your bank accounts if you use that information to pay for services you did NOT request in the first place!

Be smart, be safe and happy computing!

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

wow, haven't heard of this one yet-what will they think of next. Are these people just not bright enough to make an honest living? seriously? Thanks for the headsup MrBruce.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

Your welcome the_Patriot11.

I will provide here a link to the other site I mentioned above for their article on this subject matter, I feel one should back up their claims as I am doing here.

But believe me when I say, several people here in my home town of Norwich, Connecticut have also received such phone calls as mentioned in this article.

http://windowssecrets.com/2011/02/03/02-Watch-out-for-Microsoft-Tech-Support-scams

Please be safe and use good judgement when handling situations such as this.

Kind regards to everyone.......

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 07 February 2011 - 06:09 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:37 AM

That is really freaky! I am assuming the real Microsoft knows this is happening. Or i have to say to the person who is doing this, go die in a hole!

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 wildwillie

wildwillie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Howdy... :)

This is a new one to me also... but there's so much of this crap going on, that I've taken the position that
I will not discuss or give out any information of any kind to ANYONE that calls me unless I know them
personally, and/or have instigated the contact, ...myself.

Also, I won't every buy anything from anyone that calls me or comes to my door, unless I've invited them.
...EXCEPTIONS being... Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, school kids raising money for school projects, etc.
I always buy from these unsolicited visitors..!

From where I sit, it's so bad that I won't even reply to a survey..

cheers.. wildwillie B)
There are old pilots & bold Pilots... but there are no old bold pilots! ...(i'm an old pilot... 'nuff said?)

#6 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

some of these calls are being made by people claiming to work for a security firm that does work for Microsoft.
they may tell you that your ISP contacted MS to report your computer has a very bad virus, the caller will have your name an maybe even your address - now how did they get that - the security firm got it from MS cause they probably were one of MS's trusted partners at one time before they got caught scamming people.
they will try their best to scare the person on the other end of the phone, may even mildly threaten what may happen if they dont do what they are being told to do.

save yourself a lot of problems - dont believe them - tell them you either dont have a computer or you use a Mac - then hopefully they will not call back later to try again.

this is not a new scam its just resurfaced with a little refinement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users