Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Drink the Wine.. Red wine that is..!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wildwillie

wildwillie

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

Howdy.. :)

Some years ago, I joined the CABG club.. (Coronary Artery Bypas Graft) (aka bypass club)
I don't recommend it.. 'cause it wasn't much fun.. You feel like you've been hit by a truck!

...but AFTER YOU RECOVER, it's not so bad...
I think it's better than taking the DIRT NAP.. but ¿Quién sabe?... (Who knows)

After the surgery and out of intensive care... the day before being released (and better, but still feeling
like I'd been hit by a truck), my surgeon came to my room... for a short chat. :)

One of the things he said (besides talking about improving my diet).. was the question..

"Do you like wine?"
To which I replied.. "Not really very much... I used to drink quite a bit of beer,..
but I've slacked up and don't drink much beer anymore."

He then said, "Well, you'll get to likin' it." My reply was, "Oh, really..?"
His reply was, "yeah, I want you to drink a glass or two of red wine daily.."
My reply then was to the effect that I had heard the health benefits were in the grape juice..

My doctor said "well, the Baptists think it's in the grape juice...
the American Medical Assn. thinks it's the alcohol,..

We really don't know..., but I'll tell you what we do know.."

"Those Italians over in Italy eat all of those rich foods,.. sausages & cheeses with their pastas..
and they drink a glass of red wine with each meal.. And they don't have the coronary problems like
we have here in the US... so just drink the wine and don't worry about it."

I said.. "OK.. If you want me to drink a couple of glasses of wine, daily, I want a prescription..!"
He laughed and said.. "Are you serious..?" I replied that I was, so he whipped out a pad and
wrote me a prescription..!

I framed it together with his business card. It still hangs on the wall in my computer room,, today.

cheers.. wildwillie B)

P.S. I've followed his advice... It's been 11 years, now with no problems...
I think he was right on both counts... I'm doing very well... and I've grown to likin' it..!
There are old pilots & bold Pilots... but there are no old bold pilots! ...(i'm an old pilot... 'nuff said?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

theres truth to that, is both the italians, and the baptists are right, wine, in small amounts is beneficial to your health. Now, go through a whole bottle of merlot in a hour, and it certainly isnt helpful to you, but a glass or two a day is, and grape juice (which is unfermented wine) is actually just about as good if not as good for your health (you just cant get drunk by it) so theyre both right. Personally, I am a christian, but I drink the occasional glass of wine myself. Biblically speaking, even Jesus drank wine-both fermented and unfermented (grape juice) and Im sure im likely to get crucified by the t-totalers on the web with this statement, but the Bible never speaks out against drinking an occasional glass of wine (or even 1 a day) it only speaks out against drunkedness. . .the Apostle Paul even told Timothy to drink some wine for his stomach problems (no, Paul was not italian) So ya, anyway-Im not saying that you have to believe what I believe about alchohol, Im just pointing out the biblical view on it here.

All that aside, Im glad its been workin for ya. I certainly dont drink wine for medicinal value, I enjoy the taste of it-though I prefer white wine, but Im glad it really does help you.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 wildwillie

wildwillie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Howdy, patriot... :)

I like your post and viewpoints, and I certainly agree with you about drinking in moderation.
...and thanks for your kind encouragements..!

Doc. was right.. I've developed a taste for wine.

And I like a good Zinfandel, but don't drink it very often, 'cause all I've found... is not red,..
but mostly pink or white.

Since my surgeon is widly known and respected... I think I'll just stay with the "Reds".
Like many here in Oklahoma say... If it ain't broke, don't fix it... ha ha :lol:

cheers.. wildwillie B)
There are old pilots & bold Pilots... but there are no old bold pilots! ...(i'm an old pilot... 'nuff said?)

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

This Christmas a few of us got togeter at a friends for Christmas Dinner.
One of the ladies insisted that I get a bottle of chocolate wine from the local liquor store.
I had never hear of it before and thought that it sounded horrible but it was outstanding!
Tasted exactly like a chocolate malt, a malt with a kick.

Have you ever heard of it before?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

no, but it sounds good. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Red zinfandel is my favorite -- white zinfandel tastes way too sweet for me! There's no shortage of red zins up here, but you might try some red shiraz if that's easier to find -- they taste very similar, IMH-and uneducated-O. (If you decide to try some out, buy a small bottle -- what tastes the same to me might not taste the same to you!)

Edited by Capn Easy, 07 February 2011 - 10:51 PM.

#7 wildwillie

wildwillie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Thanks, Captn Easy,

I'll look harder (& take your advice if I find it... get a small bottle.)

Also, Eyesee... My first thought is like yours.. "horrible", but I'll take your work, and if I find the chocolate, I've gotta try that...

It might make a small, but nice Valentines gift for my wife... She is a chocolaholic.. :)

cheers.. wildwillie B)

#8 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

H wildwillie,
I've just had two stents put in. I've known for many years that red wine in moderation is considered beneficial, but my problem is I'm a cheese-aholic!! (Watch that cholesterol pile up!)

So, I've discovered that Camembert "Gram for gram contains more folic acid than broccoli, from bacteria used to ripen it.Folic acid helps reduce herat-attack levels. Less of an artery-clogger than stilton, a 40g chunk provides 30% of a woman's RDA and 20% of a mans"
Source: Angela Dowden writing in Daily Mail.

So it's red wine & camembert for me!!! Shall I eventually retire to France??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users