Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting 1 windows 7 machine and 1 windows xp machine to share files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chopficaro

chopficaro

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

ive got 2 computers hooked up to a router by Ethernet sharing an internet connection, the internet connection works fine for both computers. i would like to share documents also between the computers

one is a windows xp 32
one is a windows 7 64

ive set up many networks in the past with a bunch of xp machines without any trouble but now i am having trouble
my first step was on the windows 7 machine, i went to control panel -> network and sharing center -> setup a connection or network -> set up a new network

this is where i believe i am making a mistake of some kind, it seems that the windows 7 machine is assuming that i want to set up the network wirelessly, when it is connected to the router via Ethernet. it simply brings me to a screen that says choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure, and hangs there with a greyed out next button

everything seems to be going fine on the xp machine, i created a new network called "sharebear", told it that the computer connects through a residential gateway, enabled file and printer sharing, rebooted the machine, and confirmed that there was a new folder in the network places for shared documents

i went back to the windows 7 machine where it was still hanging, rebooted it, looked for the new network in network and sharing center and it wasn't there, i tried again to "set up a new network" on the windows 7 machine with the same hanging screen

what am i doing wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Make sure that both computers are in the same 'Workgroup' then follow these instructions
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24232-sharing-permissions.html

Also, make sure both computer's Anti-virus and Firewalls are set to allow sharing.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 chopficaro

chopficaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

did u read my post?
the computers are not in the same work group because i cannot create a home network

#4 chopficaro

chopficaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

UPDATE!!!
the computers can see one another!

on the windows 7 machine,
under the network sharing center, if i click on the icon at the top of the screen that says "multiple networks" i can see the windows xp computer, click on it and view and read/write all the shared files! my only concern with the windows 7 machine is why do i have to click on "multiple networks", why cant i see the network i created on the windows xp machine called "sharebear"?

on the windows xp machine,
if i click "add a network place" i can see the sharebear network, with only the xp machine on it, and there's another option called "workgroup", and if i click on that i can see the windows 7 machine, but the "ok" option is greyed out

so ive made some progress but im still not where i want to be, i hope this bit of info helps u help me :)

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

this is where i believe i am making a mistake of some kind, it seems that the windows 7 machine is assuming that i want to set up the network wirelessly, when it is connected to the router via Ethernet.

So, the Win 7 PC does have wireless abilities?

If so and you do not want the wireless connection used, disable it, then attempt to follow the set-up wizard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users