Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bit torrent

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:03 PM

Boing Boing had a neat link to some music but it requires BitTorrent. Bittorrent appears to be a fancied up p2p thing. But it says it does not work through a firewall.

Discussion, opinions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:57 PM

It will work but it will be slower than if you did not have a firewall. Bittorrent works by you connecting to many sources and downloading small pieces from each one, you therefore get it much faster.

You are sharing as well at the same time you are downloading. The more you share, the faster you potentially can receive. If you have a firewall up, people may not be able to connecto to you thus you dont share as much as you could.

#3 Bluie

Bluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Grinler guess I will just skip it for now.

#4 xax974

xax974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:03 PM

hello!

hmm, i don't agree, i'm using a lot bit torrent, and i advise you to put your upload at 10% of your upload, within a few minutes you should receive a good download speed, i can tell you by experience that increasing your upload will decrease your download speed. But in order to have a good speed remember to choose torrents that have a lot of seeds! i'm using bittornado btw.
for full explanation on how to make it work perfectly:Suprnova Forums

(really good forums, though!)
----------------
----------
Just another freak, in a freak kingdom.
Posted Image

#5 Bluie

Bluie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

Nice try xax974 but none of that means hoopla to me. Will try your link and see if that helps. But looks like bittorent is more trouble than use at this point.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2004 - 11:21 PM

Hmm...i always find when I use it that when I do not share, I do not get the same download speeds. Maybe its all in my head.

I will take a look at that link as well if they ever authorize me.

How is bittornado btw? Better than ABC? Never stayed up on the clients progessions

#7 xax974

xax974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 08:52 AM

hey guys!

I think Bit Torrent worth a try because you can get what is just out (movies, games and tv shows the day they are released or aired). Here how it work: Bit Torrent has been invented by a computer programmer (Brahm Cohen) who was tired of uploading his new programs to his customers because uploading is slow. So, he had the idea to use the upload of his customers to send the informations they already have to the next customer (smart, indeed).

So, basically, you use a file named torrent (usually found on various websites or on irc) that contains various informations such as the address of the "tracker". the "tracker" is on a server, exist more or less a month, and its function is to connect you to other users to start sharing the file. There are 2 kind of users you'll be connected to: "seeds"=users that has downloaded 100% and now just upload it to other users, and "leechers"=users that has just some parts and share them with you if you don't have them yet.
The more seeds they are, the faster you'll download, so don't hesitate to wait for popular torrents to have lots of them (usually a few hours or a day later, depending on the size), the number of seeds and leechers is usually indicated near the name of the torrent on many websites.

The main advantage for me is that contrary to eMule (or else p2p), there's a list of new torrents every day which allow you to discover lots of nice stuff you've probably never heard before!! Although, it is probably safer because it lasts less time and you don't share lots of files but only one (the main legal problem is when you make a file available to others). And of course, it's really FAST with popular torrents, a lot faster than eMule.

I don't know if I can give you links to good websites that host the torrents on the forum :flowers: but if those interested pm me, I'll be happy to give it. :thumbsup:

Grinler: ABC is an improved version of Bittornado which is an improved version of Bit Torrent by Brahm Cohen! It's a really good program, I use it often too!! And for the upload, believe me, I never set it above 5kb/s and I usually download above 100kb/s (my record is 280kb/s).

Bluie: I hope it's clearer, sorry, I know I'm usually not expressing myself clearly at all!!! Don't worry, it's really easy to use! You just have to install a client (ABC or Bittornado), then download the torrents you want and just double-click on the torrent file and it will start your client which should start to download within minutes. Don't forget to set your upload limit to have a good download rate.

The forum I gave would of course display informations a lot clearer and more accurate that I could ever write!! But remember that you have to post 3 posts in order to access the full forum.

I hope it can help someone! I have other tips and interesting things to know, if you are interested don't hesitate to ask!!

#8 xax974

xax974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:05 AM

I forgot to give you a really nice link to tutorials on Bittorrent and a lot more:Slyck - File Sharing Info

And that, if BitTorrent (BT) is faster and safer than other p2p, there's a really much better way to get the file you're interested in: the NEWSGROUPS!!!! Which allow you to download at your top speed, which doesn't require you to upload anything and are hosted usually by your own ISP (it costs them more when you upload than when you download!). A real kick-*** world I'm discovering, but I still have a lot of trouble to make it work smoothly as it's not as easy as BT.
If you want to know more about it, check the Slyck website!!
----------------
----------
Posted Image

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:11 PM

Yeah please do not post links to torrent sites here :thumbsup: We do not condone that type of activity though Bittorrent is a good app for everyone to know how to use as there are many legitimate software releases that use it as a medium of getting the software quickly.

Thanks for the info!

#10 qball

qball

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 09:31 PM

Hey guys

I've just been introduced to Bit Torrent. I have an understanding of how it works, although there seems to be problems for XP SP2 users. I unblock my firewall and everything comes in real slow. I read some forums and a lot of people were discussing a patch increses TCPIP concurrent connections from its orignal amount of 10. Most people are raging that this is the reason my DSL is slowed down. It seemed to have worked only a bit. Anyone know how to increase speed, or open ports?

Thanks!

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2004 - 10:33 PM

Some clients I believe allow youto change this already dont they?

#12 xax974

xax974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2004 - 08:02 AM

have you checked your upload? if it's too high it will considerably slow down your download rate.
----------------
----------
Posted Image

#13 qball

qball

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:57 AM

My upload usually stays parallel to my download rate which has never seen anything higher then 20 KB/S. I have been hearing a lot about this having to do with SP2 but I did install that patch. Is there a certain client I need to use and/or settings as well?

#14 xax974

xax974

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

20kb/s is really high for an upload speed to me. Try to set it to 5kb/s and let it work for a few times, you'll see if your download speed has increased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users