Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP will only boot in SafeMode...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 AltElvis

AltElvis

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

2 files were not disinfectable after last Panda Active Scan displayed results. So, i got mad and Erased em with Eraser. Now the computer loads up to the XP Splash screen and sits there with progress bar and HD light running nonstop.

The files were;
cd:windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\x9317931oc.dll
and
c;windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\xo931iq3.dll

At first they were deleted to the Recycle Bin, i think then restarted the puter, after all seemed to be running ok, thought i didn't need the files, so they got Erased. Now, it only boots up all the way in Safe Mode.

This is a Lenovo T61 laptop running XPpro Sp2, HD is partitioned into 4 drives with BootIt.

Tried creating a boot CD to attempt using Recovery Console, but i keep getting "INF file - txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing Status 2" message when i boot from the CD.

Learn'nNotToGetMadAtThePuter

Edited by hamluis, 07 February 2011 - 08:48 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

when you're creating the boot cd, make sure it's sp2.

after you've tried 'last known good config', you may try:

since you can boot to safe mode, boot to safe mode with command prompt,
login as an administrator, at command prompt type
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
press enter and find a restore point previous to the problem occurance.
see if boot will get past the startup screen.

Edited by cogs10, 06 February 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#3 AltElvis

AltElvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

yes made sure Boot was XP Pro sp2.

logged on as an administrator, in safe mode with command prompt... at "Select Restore Point" window got this message.. "there are currently no restore points available".

any other suggestions i might want try?

Thank you for the input

#4 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:09 PM

and you've already tried the last known good config?

in safe mode, you can try disabling the printer spooler service.
also, here's an ms article to help booting:
clean boot

i think the boot cd didn't have the proper config information.
maybe try another one.

#5 AltElvis

AltElvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:04 AM

yes...already tried the last known good config... jus restarts to XP splash screen with progress bar & HD light running non stop.

disabled print spooler in Safe Mode... restarts to XP splash screen with progress bar & HD light running non stop.

got the boot files from microsoft site... i know it's for 6 floppies(who the heck uses floppies anymore? WTF!)... found a conversion bat files that sets it up to CD... made two CD's so far, both get the same result - "INF file - txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing Status 2" message when booting from either CD... maybe i'm doing something wrong there... Is there a good source to get a known good boot CD for XPpro sp2? ... maybe the Recovery Console can do the fix then.

will go over clean boot article and give it a go tomorrow... will be back with the results.

Thanx again for the feedback.

WouldLikeToGetBackToEatingFriedBananaSandwiches

#6 AltElvis

AltElvis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

OK... now i am in this forum group... so i possibly must still be infected... yikes(note to self(and anyone else with this bright idea).. do not erase "not disinfectable" files).

ran msconfig... checked Diagnostic StartUp... restarted... still stuck on XP splash screen with progress bar & HD light running non stop.

ran msconfig... checked Selective startup with only Original BOOT.INI checked... restarted... still stuck on XP splash screen with progress bar & HD light running non stop.

possibly dealing with a corrupt file... is this where i would need to figure how to load the Recovery Console onto my puter?

by the way the virus those two files were associated with was Trj/CI.A

HopeSomeOneKnowsAWayToDealWithThis

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

Some infections are difficult to remove completely because of their morphing characteristics which allows the malware to regenerate itself or infect critical system files which cannot be cleaned. Sometimes there is an undetected hidden piece of malware such as a rootkit which protects malicious files and registry keys so they cannot be permanently deleted. Disinfection will probably require the use of more powerful tools than we recommend in this forum. Before that can be done you will need you to create and post a DDS log for further investigation.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help".
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 7 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log.
When you have done that, post your log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the Malware Response Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the Malware Response Team.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Malware topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic378400.html

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MR Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users