Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Problem Causing Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Oninuva

Oninuva

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hey guys,

Recently my GPU has started acting up (or I believe it's the GPU). My computer runs fine except when I play any games, usually I get around 2 minutes into any game and then the screen starts flickering, dots everywhere, change of color, the models becoming distorted, etc. It then proceeds to either saying "Lost Signal" on the monitor or blue screens, or just crashes and has me restarting the PC.

The first thing I thought was that the card was over-heating, well I cleaned the card up, fan, dust, etc, put it back in, tried running it with the case open, etc. The card isn't really hot at all when it crashes so I doubt that's the problem. I've tried reinstalling the driver, updating, using previous versions of the driver but it still causes the problem. The card I am using is the nVidia 8800 GT. I've never had any problems with the card before and it's been well over two years. Just started around a week or so ago.

I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate with 4GB Ram, Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHZ on a ASUS P5N-E SLI. I've also checked for a bios update but there hasn't been any.

It's not just any single game, it's any game I run, no matter the system requirements, my computer will crash or something happens within 2 minutes. Sometimes sooner or almost instantly. Also one time the game itself shut off and told me that "My driver may be out of date, etc, etc, please update" which leads me back to the point of believing that the problem is with the GPU. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any help guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

There is the possibility that your graphics card is going bad.

How long have you had this card in your computer without having any issues?

Also try removing the video card from the slot and reinstalling it into the slot again, there could be oxidation built up on the connections causing this issue.
While your at it, blow out the video card slot as well.

If this does not resolve the problem, the problem could be your video card is failing.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Oninuva

Oninuva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

I've had the card a little over two years, I've talked to others in the family that might have used the PC, found out that my son had installed "Frost Wire" which after some research, guess it's like a Limewire? He didn't download anything from Frostwire and he said he uninstalled it right after he installed it since something was wrong with the installation.

I tried taking a 6600 GT from an old computer but Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize the card even with the drivers installed and updated which is weird, the device is recognized but it's labeled as "windows is having problems with this device" with the yellow exclamation point.

I do believe PNY has the warranty on the cards though not sure if two years is a little too long for it to cover. :(

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

The 8800 series was part of "chipgate" as well. Likely the GPU/videocard is faulty.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

I agree with dpunisher, sounds to me like it's time to look for another video card.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users