Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Input Devices Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SavageOne

SavageOne

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

So while I'm on this site working on my own comp, I figured I try for some help with my sister's boyfriend's comp. He is a doctor, and his work comp had some fairly basic issues regarding him poorly implementing a "free" windows upgrade. At this point he simply needs to get it restored to it's working condition, as patient files and some very expensive medical software are on this machine. I told him it wouldn't be too much trouble to simply undo or fix whatever he messed up. Unfortunately, when I got the machine and hooked it up(took some digging around in my pile of cords to even find a VGA cable :hysterical: ), none of my input devices worked. After some fiddling around, I came to the conclusion that it was probably an issue of how old his relic was in comparison to my shiny new custom built desktop, seeing as how all my components are USB 2.0 PnP, and his relic has stickers boasting about USB 1.0. After some more digging, a friend of mine found an old PS/2 keyboard from a PackBell. This also did not work. I even got a hold of the mouse and keyboard from his office, and still no function. When a keyboard or mouse is plugged in at start-up, the LED/power indicator/etc. will light up just before the splash screen, but then just as Windows begins to load, the lights all turn off. The keyboards are unresponsive even during the splash screen, so I cannot even access the bios. Since they are receiving power, I don't see it as being a mobo issue, but I could be wrong. In order to at least save his patient files, I jacked his HDD into my tower and backed up as many relevant files as I could find, but that does not really solve the issue, only ensure that a complete loss does not occur. I'm stumped at this point, I'm weary of trying to boot his HDD on my system as I don't know if there were other issues, i.e. malware, and I don't know if it would even work, as most components in my tower have been released within the last year, and I'm not sure how backwards compatible a comp designed for 7 will be with a 98/Xp upgraded system. Any and all advice is welcomed. Also, remember that I do have the ability to access the HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

LED/power indicator/etc. will light up just before the splash screen, but then just as Windows begins to load, the lights all turn off.

Can the computer (HDD) be accessed in safe mode on startup, or is this also disabled -

Thank You -

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

What was this "free Windows upgrade"?

From what to what?

Trying to boot from his hdd in your computer is not a good idea. This is because each motherboard's chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you move your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore may fail with a STOP error. I know of instances where the owner has done this and got away with it, but there are articles form Intel and Microsoft which point out the dangers of doing this.

Edited by dc3, 07 February 2011 - 01:32 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 SavageOne

SavageOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

Noknojon: Safe mode cannot be accessed, the keyboard only displays any power indicators lights for a few seconds, but at no time do they respond, thus I have no way of getting to safe mode.

Dc3: By "free" windows upgrade I mean that he tried to go from a valid Home edition to a not so valid Pro edition, which triggered WAT after a few months. This isn't to hard to either fix or reverse, as I've had to help others do so before, but this issue with not being able to interact with the computer is a major hindrance. Also, thanks for confirming that it is in fact not a good idea to boot on my system.

Edited by SavageOne, 07 February 2011 - 12:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users