Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting a core Affinity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SavageOne

SavageOne

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:15 PM

This has been a passing interest before, and I once tried to use a series of console commands as described on a Folding site, but they always reset themselves. So, is there a way, or perhaps some piece of freeware, that will allow me to permanently set the core affinity of a program, so that every time it launches, the core is set, and not have to manually change it in Task Manager every time?
Thanks in advance. :thumbup2:

P.S. Oh, and due to the constraints of using an unlocked AMD Phenom II 550 X2, I cannot use their in house program that allows you to set up what I described, as the software no longer recognizes the CPU.

Edited by SavageOne, 06 February 2011 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

You may want to check this out http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/197915-setting-processor-affinity-made-easy.html It might be a solution that would work for whatever application you're running.

#3 SavageOne

SavageOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the fast response. :thumbsup: I have not tried this particular method before, although it seems a bit cumbersome, especially as I hate clutter on my desktop, and just about every program in my programs(x86) folder would need to be addressed, as my quad core causes these strange static anomalies to appear in most 32bit programs. But definitely a temp fix until I learn what the underlying issue is. Thanks.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Prio-Priority Saver

Please double check compatibility before using. I have only used it on XP.

#5 SavageOne

SavageOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Unfortunately Prio only seems to save priority settings, and not affinity settings, but it does have a 64bit version, and did work on my Win7 Ult build, so potentially useful to others. Thanks for the help though.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:41 PM

Ashampoo Core Tuner could be worth a try:

http://www.ashampoo.com/en/aud/pin/0061/System_Utilities/Ashampoo-Core-Tuner

(That's the Australian Dollar link that it insists on giving me...)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 SavageOne

SavageOne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

I looked into the program a little further, and it seems it does what I need. Oddly though, it apparently doesn't do what its advertised to do very well, that being to "optimize" your core usage, and also takes up more resources than practical for the average user. Unfortunately I'm in between jobs at the moment, and can't justify a $20 program that does something that I can do manually if need be. But I will be keeping it in mind when I get back on my feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users