Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Freezes and getting Blue Screen errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:08 PM

I have a problem which I expect is due to a corrupt BIOS chip. I'll explain everything I've done, so someone can perhaps figure out what I've done, and how it can be fixed.

A friend of mine asked me to format and re-intall windows due to it running very laboured and slow (I did add some RAM to help with speed). So, I used my old XP disk, but during set-up, there were quite a few files which couldn't be installed. XP then tried to start, but froze on the black XP screen with the blue progress bar running accross. I suspect the XP disk was damaged, so I tried again, using another XP disk, but it kept freezing in exactly the same place.

I then put another hard drive in, and had the original as the slave, and tried installing XP again, but still had the same problem. SO, I disconnected the slave, but no change.

I tried resetting the CMOS, and took the battery out a few times, for up to an hour, but no change.

I then got a hard disk from another computer with a working copy of XP on it, but with this one, it would go to the black screen asking whether you want to start in safe mode, but no matter what option I choose, it goes to the Blue Screen of death, with a 0x00000007B error.

I'm really desperate for help, as this is my friend's machine, and I'm worried I stuffed it up with a corrupted copy of my Windows XP disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

You added ram and suspect it's something else? Remove the ram you installed and try again. Let us know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users