Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this HDD Corrupted?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tjboo

tjboo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

My buddy's laptop broke. His laptop wouldn't go into the OS. I removed his HDD and hooked it up to my SATA to USB kit. At first the HDD was recognised and I found it on 'My Computer' (Windows 7). I tried to get into his Documents but couldn't because of the ownership settings. I tried to change them in properties but then My Computer stopped responding so I had to unplug etc. I tried to do the same on my faster PC downstairs and it wouldn't appear on there. It now doesn't appear on my laptop either. I look in disk management and its not there. It recognises a USB Mass Storage Device and in Devices on my Windows 7 Laptop it says USB to SATA Bridge or something like that and in the properties for that is shows the HDD name like 'WD-XXX-XXX' (Western Digital). The HDD is 500GB and its nearly full and when plugged in things slow down and respond less. Any help would be much appreciated. A friend suggested trying to plug it in on a PC using Windows XP, suggesting a problem with the drivers.

Edit: I booted up my laptop with it plugged in. For some reason the kit has like two USB cords on it. I plugged them both in and on My Computer it had Local Disk F and Local Disk G there. My SD card used to be G until it became E for no reason. And when I unplug one of the USBs I get a message asking me to format the G and F drives before I can use it.

Edited by tjboo, 06 February 2011 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

I think you're on the right track. I recently was able to pull files off of my wifes failed laptop HDD using a IDE to USB hard drive enclosure that sounds similar to your SATA to USB kit.

The suggestion to try plugging it (both USB cords) into an XP machine might be a good one. Since both 7 and XP are NTFS, I would think you should be able to see/read the files on your 7 machines. I went straight to XP with no problems though (after dealing with the permission issue you describe).

You might try running 'fdisk /r' in XP, or on my Vista system it's Computer - Properties - Tools - Error Checking - Check Now. It must be similar in 7.

You might also try doing an online search for a tutorial on 'using a drive enclosure', there are several out there. I thought there was one on this site, but couldn't find it just now.

Your SD card should go back to being Local disk G once you unplug your SATA to USB kit.

Please post back with your progress.

Bill253

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

Edit:.....For some reason the kit has like two USB cords on it.

One cable is supplying power to the external drive. The other is used for the data transfer.

It is not unusual for drive letters of removable media\drives to change when another one is added. The two drives you saw when the problem drive was plugged in are probably the same drive. It was partitioned by the manufacturer. The larger drive holding the OS and installed programs. The other is the restore partition.

#4 tjboo

tjboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will try plug it into an XP machine when I can seeing as I don't have one at home. I'll have to go to a friend's or something. Thing is, I didn't get to change the permissions before it stopped responding. And I will try that Error Checking if they show up on My Computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users