Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D620

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:28 AM

I recently installed Windows 7 and Linux Mint 10 on a Dell D620 Laptop. Everything is working nominally for now, but there is one small detail that bothers me. I can't seem to control the volume buttons - they just have no effect when pressed in either OS. I tried downloading QuickSet as recommended on another site for Windows 7, but the driver seems to be unavailable on Dell's site. Fn buttons don't work either.

I'd also like to be able to control the volume via the volume buttons in Linux, if at all possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

When you go to device manager do you see any exclamation marks or issues related to your 'sound, video and game controllers' section?

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

When you go to device manager do you see any exclamation marks or issues related to your 'sound, video and game controllers' section?

Bruce.

No, in fact sound works fine. I can control volume if I click on the volume button in the taskbar, but not by the volume controls on the top of the keyboard.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

If I remember, you will have to have the Dell specific drivers for that sound chipset. Use your tear tag number, and search Dell's site. The drivers should be there, or post your tag here and I will give it a shot and try to find them.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

If I remember, you will have to have the Dell specific drivers for that sound chipset. Use your tear tag number, and search Dell's site. The drivers should be there, or post your tag here and I will give it a shot and try to find them.

Tried that. The problem is that my computer originally came with XP installed, and I upgraded to Windows 7. The old driver won't run in Windows 7. I tried to download a Vista 64 bit version, but it's not available on Dell's site either.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

the old driver won't run in Windows 7.

I am curious if you tried running the driver in compatibility mode.

What you would need to do is right click the .exe file or .sys file related to your laptop buttons for volume controls.

Choose PROPERTIES.

Then look for RUN THIS PROGRAM IN COMPATIBILITY MODE FOR...........

Choose XP, see if the buttons work after trying this.

It may NOT work, but it has worked for me on some occasions, it's worth a shot if there are no updated drivers available.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:06 AM

The Vista Driver became available. I guess the site was down. I installed it but it doesn't seem to work to control the volume buttons. Everything else works at this point. I'm wondering if I should still install the Chipset drivers? I believe that Windows7 automatically installed them.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

I'm wondering if I should still install the Chipset drivers? I believe that Windows 7 automatically installed them.

Any time Windows installs drivers, they are in MOST cases, GENERIC drivers.

I would strongly suggest you download and install any chip set drivers available from the motherboard manufacturer's web site, as those are most suited for the motherboard.

So to answer your question, yes I would look for those drivers and install them if they are available.

Please keep us posted with the results.

Kind regards...

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users