Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - New Sound Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 foreverinsane

foreverinsane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hello,

A few days ago my new sound card arived in the post because the inbuilt sound doesn't work properly (only left speaker plays properly, right goes on and off,

same if I use my headhones. I have to wiggle the cable about). I will get the Tech Guys to fix tis next time we call them out.

Heres the card that I brought. Although it doesn't say it on their, the box itself says it works with Windows 7 (my OS):

Xenta 4 Channel Soundcard C-media 8738 Chipset 3D - PCI

I connected the card, turned on my PC, installed the driver and restarted my PC. Hurray fully working sound!

A little while later I turned off the PC and a little while after, someone else turned it (although I was there) and during start up we got te BSOD. It

didn't stay u long enough for me to get details from it. We tried a couple more times with the same result. So I turned it off, took the card out and it was

fine (I tried safe mode first and that worked as well).

I downloaded bluescreenview but my PC didn't seem to have saved a minidump. I forgot all about it as it seemed fine and deicded I'll look into the matter in

more detail when I have the time.

But this morning when I turned my PC on, I got mr.BSOD again. So I start it in safe mode, go into my recycle bin and restore BSV. This time I find the

minidump (at the bottom of post). A google search of the "cause by address" seems to think its software related (drivers, other software ect).

I performed a system restore to a few days before I installed the driver and now when I turn my PC on, it comes up with the windws loading screen, that goes

and my mouse comes up but thats about it. No log on screen. Same if I try safe mode. I'll try again soon.

Any idea what the problem could be? I was thinking of a clean install of windows anyway, just to get rid of all the unwanted bagage but I would prefer to

know the cause before I do, incase the problem continues after. I have a backup of my PC (couple of weeks old) on an external HDD

The reviews on ebuyer (which is were I ordered from) says it does work on Win7 (although someone points out a website with a Windows 7 driver so maybe the

drivers on the disc it came with aren't great). The box itself looks a little generic and the Xenta brand is only a sticker which suggests it wasn't made by

a brand and later sold to Xenta (transparent sticker with Xenta name).

Any help is appreciated please.

Thank you :)

==================================================
Dump File : 020611-23290-01.dmp
Crash Time : 06/02/2011 01:40:19 PM
Bug Check String : PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug Check Code : 0x00000050
Parameter 1 : 0x8d4dc002
Parameter 2 : 0x00000000
Parameter 3 : 0x91505d34
Parameter 4 : 0x00000000
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+85903
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.16617 (win7_gdr.100618-1621)
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\020611-23290-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 139,488
==================================================

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

You can try installing the latest drivers from here(about halfway down the page): http://www.downloadatoz.com/driver/articles/c-media-cmi8738-wdm-driver-download.html
This entry might also come in handy for other troubleshooting options: http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-fatal_error/PAGE-FAULT-IN-NONPAGED-AREA-0x00000050-*1095.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users