Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

I have some questions about overclocking, and I hope I can find some clear answers to them. I've read here and there different articles about overclocking, but I've never seen a full explanation of it. I'm about to purchase some fairly expensive (for me, at least), components for a new build, and I'd like some info about the process of over clocking. My general questions first:

1.) Exactly what is overclocking, aside from increasing the processor speed?
2.) What is the process for overclocking? Is it different from machine to machine, or processor to processor, etc.?
3.) What are the major advantages of overclocking?
4.) What are the disadvantages?
5.) What, if any, are the dangers of overclocking?
6.) Does overclocking have any significant advantage for anything other than gaming applications?

I'll be using the following motherboard and processor in this new build. (If information about other components is needed, let me know):

Motherboard
Processor

Most of my "resources-hungry" applications are 3D graphics applications, and I'll be working with 3D animation as well. So, questions specifically to my situation:

1.) Will overclocking give me any noticeable advantages?
2.) Would the disadvantages outweigh the advantages in my situation?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:49 AM

hi, i only have brief answer to #5
you could fry you new cpu and motherboard ,and you void your warranty by overclocking .
I never did see the need to overclock a nice fast cpu and motherboard like the one you intend to buy .i say leave well enough alone! good luck

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Davkal

Davkal

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

overclocking is not worth it an not worth the possible damage to the motherboard/cpu of your computer.
there is no advantage to overclocking that i have ever seen to make it worth it

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

I have to totally agree with Caperjac and Davkal.

The risks vs the gains just do not equal out IMO. OC`ing is really for bragging rights. A sort of "HEY!!!! Look everybody what I did." It`s a "just because I could" deal.

I followed your Dream Machine thread build a bit. It will be an excellent machine that should do all you need and then some for quit a long time. Without OC`ing.

Answers to your questions to the best of my ability.

1.) Exactly what is overclocking, aside from increasing the processor speed?

That is pretty much it. Although to get the most out of an OC`d CPU many will also OC their memory and GPU if possible.
In every system there is what is called a bottleneck. That is the slowest piece of hardware that is in the chain of processing\reading\writing\acting upon any given task(s). In most cases that will be the hard drive. With the advent of SSD`s the bottleneck has become far less. But still exists.

2.) What is the process for overclocking? Is it different from machine to machine, or processor to processor, etc.?

It is basically a process of raising different settings on the mobo. Voltages are one of them. Yes, it also varies by mobo BIOS abilities as well as the processor. Some CPU`s are incapable of being OC`d. They are locked by the manufacturer.
Many mobo manufacturers also limit End User options in the BIOS.
So yes there are several variables when it comes to what can and can not be OC`d.

4.) What are the disadvantages?

An improperly OC`d machine can become unstable. Causing OS crashes among other problems.

5.) What, if any, are the dangers of overclocking?

See #4 as well as Caperjac`s and Davkal`s replies. A very expensive doorstop that smells of burnt electrical components is the worst case scenario.

6.) Does overclocking have any significant advantage for anything other than gaming applications?

Even the advantages when running games is questionable. A properly built PC, one built for the task, should never need OC`d.
I believe OC`ing first became popular when the game makers wrote programs that were more capable then the hardware they were being played on, or was available at the time. Those tight on money or just not willing\lacking the knowledge to upgrade learned how to squeak more performance out of their current hardware setup.
But many times at the cost of it`s normal life expectancy due primarily to increased heat.

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

Wow... Okay, I guess that answers the question of whether I should consider overclocking or not. Definitely not.

Just the voiding of any warranty is enough to stop me, let alone the chance of frying the machine. A 6-core processor with 16 GB of RAM should handle what I need it to handle, anyway... :thumbsup:

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#6 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

the only thing i have actually seen a difference in speed is while gaming i OC my vid card...but i havent really seen a difference from OC my cpu...but vid card definatley

the processor u got is a black edition which means that its cores come pre-unlocked for easy OCing if u ever wish to do it...but with the set up u have i dont think u would see a benefit from OCing imo

Edited by Blaze413, 06 February 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. No overclocking for this girl... :)

Snowden03.png

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your responses. No overclocking for this girl... :)

:thumbup2: A wise move. IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users