Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Dilemma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 warthog01

warthog01

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:37 AM

I've just formatted the hard disc on my old Dell Latitude D600 and re-installed Windows XP. All went well until I tried to set up an internest account and discovered my Network administrator driver had gone. I went to device manager, found that a number of other drivers had also disappeared, so went to Dell Support (on another PC) and downloaded all the drivers indicated for my service tag.

I went back to the Latitude and tried to install the drivers through the device manager, but got the good old "Windows can't open this file" message. I've tried to install via DVD and also by copying the driver files to the Lat's C Drive via USB, all to no avail.

The files are called "click once application" files and, if I click on the original downloaded file (on the second PC) they open. I'm flummoxed--why would the files act differently and what do I need to do to install them in the Lat?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

When you clicked on the installers, the d\l`d drivers, they probably extracted to a folder. It is located in C:\Drivers.

Look to make sure it is there. Then go into Device Manager. Right click on each device needing a driver and point it to the corresponding folder in C:\Driver.

The reason the one-click did not behave properly is probably because they were written to work on a different Service pack, or with a later version of Windows installer then is currently reflected on you machine due to the new install you just did.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

Go to the Dell Website, enter the service tag number, and download the correct drivers for your system. Starting with the CHIPSET driver, install them by using the .exe installer (not through device manager). I don't believe the service pack has anything to do with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users