Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic StandBy no longer working - Manual Standby does work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 geminis076

geminis076

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

Hello, I have a Dell Desktop with Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3.

This started about 2 months ago, my set time Automatic Standby was working fine, then it stopped working - computer will go into standby mode if I manually tell it to. Was set to 45 minutes, but then that stopped working, so I tried out a few other times - a few but not every time setting. The only one that seemed to work was 20 minutes but now that has stopped working.

I've read that it may be due to something running in the background, there's a long list of things and processes in the task manager but I'm not savvy enough to identify them or recognize what if any may be the cause. I may have installed a new program around that time, and I did also read a comment from a person with a similar issue who mentions that they installed the latest update for what Microsoft uses against malware and viruses - sorry not sure what it's called. Anyway I kind of remember accepting the update a little before I noticed the standby issue.

I did think about trying System Restore and going back to an earlier date, but it won't let me go beyond January 2011 which it has never done before, don't use it often but in the past it's let me go back to previous months.

I've scanned with Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Avast, they did not detect anything. Panda ActiveScan did detect something, so I took it over to VirusTotal and 5 out of 43 Antivirus programs are detecting it as something.

The file in question is: c:\windows\system32\snjwindows11.dll

~ Panda : Generic Malware
~ Prevx : Medium Risk Malware
~ Rising: Trojan.Win32.Generic.1261A041
~ TrendMicro: Possible_Virus
~ TrendMicro-HouseCall: Possible_Virus

Any suggestions on what I can look into or try to resolve my Standby issue? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

My understanding is that when you set a time to stand by or hibernate, if there is any running process on the system that cause the CPU to use 10% even for a split second (like you would observe in Task Manager), the timer gets reset back to zero.

The system has to be "idle" and that also means no keyboard, mouse, email reading, surfing, etc. Idle means idle.

Knowing that, if you have something running in the background like an automatic scan, updates, something that is running that periodically checks for something to do, updates, etc. that could use 10% of the CPU - even for a split second, that will reset your timer.

In my notes, I have this reminder to myself from past experience of things that can interfere with a timed stand by or hibernate:

Does your system have installed Windows Search, Skype, iTunes, MagicJack, RSS feeds, any kind of Instant Messenger, any kind of malware scanners doing scans or doing automatic updates like MSE, AVG, Norton, McAfee, Bit Defender? Did a cat walk on your keyboard?

To test, set your options so some small amount of time - maybe 5 minutes and see if the system works properly every time. Be sure the mecahnism itself is not flawed. If it does work properly every time with a short timer, and you set it back to 45 minutes and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work you will have to figure out what is going on that resets the timer.

I think I would set it to 45 minutes, note the time of day and find something else to do for a while - don't touch the system. If the system does not behave in 45 minutes, then look in the Event Viewer from the time you wrote down at the beginning of the watchful period until the current time when the stand by was missed.

Look in the Event Viewer logs for the last 46 minutes and see if you can spot what background process might have woken up and done something. Hopefully, when whatever it is wakes up and does whatever it does, it will put something in the Event Viewer log and you can see what it is.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 geminis076

geminis076
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thanks, I'll look into and give it a try. It had always gone into standby mode while the internet browser was open (FireFox). I share the computer with my parents who love to leave it on all day :angry:, so the auto standby was nice to have especially when they would go out. I've told them about the issue, of course they never remember so the computer just stays on for hours until I notice or I'm home. Hibernation is working, but I think it would just confuse my parents since it's a little different but I might start using it in the meantime.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:28 PM

You can have the browser open and it will still work, as long as nothing comes it to bump your CPU to 10% - you just can't be using the mouse or keyboard since that would reset the timer.

...and there is a risk of data loss with Stand By that you do not have with Hibernation.

If you Stand By with files open and then lose power completely from a power failure/outage, you could lose data.

You'll get it figured out... If not, we'll gang up on it.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users