Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No hard drive, no start?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 allrcomputers

allrcomputers

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

I have received from a family member a used Sony Vaio laptop that is missing its hard drive. I wanted to test it out, booting up with a CD boot disk, but the power won't come on. Is it possible to start up the computer without a hard disk installed or does that some how prevent it? The only thing that went wrong with the computer was that the hard drive had crashed, but the rest of the computer had been working OK. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:41 AM

All computer systems will boot without a hard drive, the hard drive is a device that would contain a bootable medium, such as an operating system.

The computer's BIOS is the first thing that boots up the computer and displays the text on the screen.

Without a hard drive, the BIOS would simply report in text on the screen, NO SYSTEM DISK or NO BOOTABLE SYSTEM DISK.

But the BIOS will still start the computer regardless of whether there is a bootable disk or not.

If your system is not starting up, there is another issue, such as a power supply problem that needs to be addressed.

Hope this helps clear up the mystery.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 allrcomputers

allrcomputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Thanks Bruce,I thought that would be the case, but not having much experience with laptops, I wasn't completely sure. I appreciate your response. Maybe with all the work on the computer and removing the hard drive, something else got disconnected or messed up. Now I know where to look next.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:56 PM

A few suggestions are to check those flip type connectors that the flat ribbon wires go into, they call those FPC connectors and they can sometimes un-clip and cause issues with a non-working circuit.

Make sure the power jack connections to the power module board are secure, there is a lot of stress on this jack at times and can cause one of the solder lugs of the power jack to break loose from the circuit board.

Using a VOM multi-meter can help diagnose this issue by checking for continuity between the jack's outside connection to the circuit board inside the laptop.

You can also do a physical inspection, by gently rocking the power jack to see if you see one of the lugs moving up and down on the module board.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users