Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped my external hard drive :(

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alimoham

alimoham

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

I was putting some files on the external hard drive and my leg accidentally got caught in the wire and the external hard drive fell onto the bed
Then I went to safely remove hardware and it said still in use, etc. but I closed all the windows and still said that so I waited and then I just unplugged the cable. Now I plugged it back in and it couldn't read the disk and asked me to format but I didn't and I waited about 10 mins and it's reading it. However when I go to safely remove hardware it says it's still in use again and when I go to my computer it takes a long time to read it. I can't backup the data as there is 200gb and my laptop only has an 80gb drive. What should I do :S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FunFilter

FunFilter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

Almost same thing happened to me the other day. <_< Watching topic.

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

So did these drives come unplugged when they were in use? Even a mild tug on the cord or a good bump could create problems with the file systems.

I'm thinking chkdisk /r on the drives are in order. Maybe your systems are trying to do that automatically, which is why they stay busy for so long.

Which operating systems are you running? chkdsk utility could be available under the maintenance/check disk file system now or similarly worded selection.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

Look for your hard drive manufacturer and run the diagnostic tool, doing the long test.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 FunFilter

FunFilter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

My cord definitely came unplugged. Um, is it ok for me to respond on this thread? I don't want to hijack.

EDIT: Responding to the original topic is no problem. A hijack occurs when you divert attention away from the original poster's topic...to your own situation ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 February 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#6 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

OK, lets see if we can figure this out. There are some folks around here with more elegant ways of doing this, but I'll take the long way around:

I happen to be running Vista Home Premium SP 2 right now, so can work through this with the right OS. Yesterday I was running a Linux system, so couldn't check my statements for accuracy.

The goal is to get you through this without reformatting or losing any data.

ASSUMING that when you plug your external hd in it comes up as the E: drive (pluggin my external USB drive in now...)

You can read the instructions by going to Start/Help and Support/search for 'Check your hard disk for errors' (without the quotes).

This process can take a while, and you don't want your laptop running out of power or going to sleep on you, so plug it in and make necessary adjustments to your power settings...

The instructions say (paraphrasing here):

Go to Start/Computer/right click on drive you want to check (E: in this instance)/Properties/tools tab/ first option is error checking, click the 'check now' button/ if you're not logged in as administrator User Account Control will pop up asking for password / 'Check Disk <your disk name> (E:)' window should pop up, you probably want to check both option boxes, then click the Start button.

Make sure it runs to completion, it might take a while (couple of hours).

Hopefully this will restore you external drive back to 'normal'. :thumbup2: If not, we'll have to call in some of the BC 'big guns' for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users