Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Outlook Express folder and contents

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stilllearning6

stilllearning6

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

Due to my ignorance , I deleted an entire desktop folder OUTLOOK EXPRESS and its saved email contents.
Next , I emptied the Recycle Bin .

The plan had been to delete as much stuff as possible on a 99% filled 13.5 Giga HD so that I could then run MCSFT Defrag .

Though the HD never got to 15% free , Mcsft Defrag ran partially .

Next , I ran Puran Defrag program .

Attempted to uninstall HP printer .
Later info revealed that I could not reinstall HP printer . I suspected that remnants of printer remained .

Then , ran Defraggler Program .

In spite of my 3 attempts to defrag , the 3 defrag programs did not seem to effectively complete defragging HD.

When my attempt to uninstall HP printer via Add/Remove programs did not seem to work ,
I followed internet instructions to go into registry and remove HP printer items.
Somewhere along the way , I also followed instructions to : " change permissions" so that I could re-install HP printer.
Re-install of HP printer did not work.
I am not sure of the steps that I took regarding the change permissions/ registry .

Then tried to do a WinXp Repair / Install .
This Repair/Install WinXP process stopped at approx 80 % completion .
Just hung up . No progress would occur.
Device Manger appeared completely empty screen .

That brings me to the current state of affairs.
Now, I have the original 13.5 giga HD in an external enclosure and I can access the 13.5 G HD via different WinXP PC .
I can see User Profiles , I can see documents .

Goal : How do I recover the deleted OUTLOOK EXPRESS folder with its original saved email contents
in each of 2 user profiles after I had mistakenly
deleted " Outlook Express" folder icon from desktop , emptied recycle bin , ran 3 defrags, attempted Repair /Install ?

Perhaps the details of my feeble actions were not pertinent .
I do not know enough .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

there is a program called tuneup undelete it may help you. However usually desktop icons are shortcuts to the install directory. try typing outlook express in your search panel or manually locate it on your primary drive such as c:\programs\Microsoft etc...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

First of all, you can not delete Outlook Express, it is part of the operating system.

The only way that I'm aware that you can disable it is in Add/Remove programs under Add/Remove programs Windows components, but this only disables it. If this is what you did, then you should be able to re-enable it in the Control Panel.

I would also suggest removing files that you wish to keep by moving them to a removable media, such as DVDs, CDs, flash drive, or an another hdd, removable or otherwise.

A hdd of this size requires at least 15% free space for swap space in order to be able to function.

I would suggest adding another hdd, internally or externally depending if it is a desktop or laptop.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

Due to my ignorance , I deleted an entire desktop folder OUTLOOK EXPRESS and its saved email contents.
Next , I emptied the Recycle Bin .

Does that mean you deleted the desktop ICON? If so, have you tried to open up OE from somewhere else? Deleting the icon does not delete the program.

Outlook Express should be in your start menu-find it, click it to open.

OR Click My Computer on your desktop. Drive C/Program Files. Find Outlook Express, open the folder, look for the icon to open OE.

If OE opens all you need to do is put the icon back on your desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 February 2011 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users