Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WLAN Driver Disappeared: How do I get it back?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:05 PM

Randomly, yesterday my wireless stopped working. So I tried to figure out what was wrong by 'diagnosing the problem' with Vista. It tells me that I don't have a wireless driver installed. I tried downloading the driver from the HP website, it didn't work. I tried looking on the Nvidia website for it and I couldn't find it. I went to the Windows Vista Drivers pinned thread on this site, and I downloaded the networking driver and I tried to install it, but I don't think it worked / I don't think I did it right. Listed under my devices for Network Adapters is only 'NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet', there is no WLAN like there used to be or should be. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Well, the difference is that the switch on my computer typically goes to the color Blue when I slide it to the right, which is the ON side, but now it just stays red. My wired connection will still work, but when I disconnect from the wired and turn on my wireless switch it stays Red (off) and says that my WLAN thing isn't installed. I hadn't installed any new updates or anything that would effect the state of my driver or wireless. It worked earlier that day, I left my laptop on and went out to do some stuff and when I came back it didn't work anymore.

Edited by MuffinMan9o9, 05 February 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Well, files don't delete themselves so something else is at work here. Please look in device manager - any errors?

#5 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

No, not any errors aside from my printer driver. Everything in the device manager appears to be in check aside from the WLAN device being gone.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

Don't know if this is relevant or not: http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-63261-wlan-driver-missing-on-hp-dv9000-5-us

Edited by Allan, 05 February 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#7 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

Earlier I went to the HP site and looked up drivers for my laptop model. I downloaded the HP Wireless Assistant and the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista and then I installed both of them. Neither of them made any changes that I can tell and the Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows Vista didn't show up under my device manager.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:34 PM

Okay, that's all I've got - sorry. Networking isn't my strong suit but there are certainly others here who will step in when they see the thread. Sorry I couldn't help.

#9 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

It's no problem man! I appreciate the eagerness to help!

#10 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Don't know if it'll help or not, but you could give the Microsoft Fixit Solution Center a try. Click here and have a look.

I was able to use it a while back to fix a driver error associated with my DVD drive.

Bill253

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Glanced at the link provided by Bill253.

One fix in particular, did not look at all offered, may help. Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows. I would suggest reading the Learn more provided to see if the description more closely resembles your problem.
There may be another pertaining directly to network devices.

I`m leaning more towards a mechanical failure of the switch in this instance. Is the lap top still under warranty by chance?

#12 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, I noticed that Fix IT solution as well and ran it, but it didn't fix the problem. If my WLAN driver were still detectable it might have worked... and I think you might be right about the mechanical part of it. It might just be a hardware issue that they'll have to fix. And I sure hope it is, how do I check?

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

......how do I check?

IMO, you already have checked. You have pretty much covered all the software related trouble shooting that can be done.

As the device is not detected at all, it seem`s to me that it is not getting power. So as far as the OS and related software is concerned it does not exist. This points directly to the power switch as the next logical culprit.

If the PC is still under warranty I would be on the phone to them.

One other thing you can attempt. Normally the NIC is a replaceable part. It can be accessed through one of a couple removable panels on the underside of the lap top. The proper panel is only held in place by one or two screws. When you find the right one the NIC can be positively identified by one black and one white wire connected to it. While I do not think this is the problem, you can try gently re-seating it.

It is pretty much horizontal. One edge of it is in a mini-pci slot. Two, opposite edges, are held in place by metal spring clips. You can gently push down and towards the mini-pci slot on the fourth, open edge, ensuring it is completely seated. If you should choose to totally remove it. First unplug the power cord and remove the battery. Purely a precaution. Then after taking note of the proper terminals for the black and white wire connections they can be gently pulled off of their posts. Carefully slightly spread the metal clips and pull out the NIC. Then reverse the procedure to replace it. Being sure it is seated fully in the mini-pci slot as well as the clips. Reconnect the wires to their proper posts.

Replace the battery, plug in the cord, start it up. IF we are lucky it will work.

#14 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Well... this is odd... it randomly started working again today. I haven't messed with anything for a day or two and today it randomly started working again. I have no idea what did it... but problem solved I guess! Thanks all for your help!

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Odd indeed. But we`ll take it. :thumbup2:

Guess we will just chalk this one up to the PC gremlins. :alien2: :scratchhead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users