Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor going dark

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fdnavy

fdnavy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'm trying to fix a friends laptop. Problem is: I power up the computer (Dell 1305 laptop) computer boots up no problem display looks normal. Computer runs for about 5min then the monitor goes very very dark. I can see it's still on as I can see the desktop if I look on an angle. It's as if someone turned off the lights. Same problem happens if I unplug the laptop while it's running. As soon as I unplug it poof dark dark screen. Nothing happens if I try to plug it back in it just stays dark. The computer works when the screen is dark you just can't see anything. It's not the function brightness keys or the power settings I have tried changing both. I have read it's a possible bad screen but I don't understand why it would work fine sometimes and then crap out. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2011 - 03:12 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fdnavy

fdnavy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Anyone? Someone must have an idea.

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Well, I'm certianly no expert at this, but you deserve some sort of reply.

From what I've read, when the backlight of a LCD display goes bad you can shine a flashlight on it and see what it is displaying. Sounds like what you're seeing when you 'look on an angle'. You might investigate getting a new display screen, or having the backlight repaired on the one you have.

I've read other topics on this Forum where people have ordered/replaced laptop screens with success. Maybe try looking there?

#4 Jesse8931

Jesse8931

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

Your lcd inverter is bad. If you feel ok with taking the lcd bezel off you can replace one pretty cheaply.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

Possible failing power inverter.

#6 FrogmanMickey

FrogmanMickey

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:49 AM

You probably do not need a new screen. If the computer still works and you can see the display if you shine a flashlight onto the screen, then you have either a bad CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp) or a bad LCD power inverter. To prove this to yourself, connect the laptop to an external monitor and direct the output to the external monitor using the appropriate Function key, or from Control Panel/Display/Settings (using the flashlight to see what you're doing). If that works, then go for a new inverter since it is usually the culprit (and is the easier and less expensive to replace). Installation is (usually) easy. Search with Google for a tutorial for doing this. These devices are both (usually) somewhere under the plastic surrounding the screen (the bezel). You can (usually) remove the bezel by unscrewing the screws that are (usually) beneath the rubber bumpers at the top and bottom of the bezel. Just pry the bumpers off to access the screws. The inverter has plug-in connections. It can be replaced in a few minutes. The CCFL has solder connections and the connections must be shielded with special tape and caps so radio frequencies don't leak into your computer and cause interference. But if you know how to solder, it, too, is fairly simple to replace. Both of these parts can be bought inexpensively on ebay. I just bought a new inverter for a Toshiba laptop for $8 on ebay. The CCFLs are a bit more, maybe around $20. That's why you try the inverter first. If that works, you don't need a new CCFL. If you don't mind using parts that have been harvested from laptops that were turned in for recycling, the price is even lower. If any of this sounds too complicated, you can buy a whole new screen, but in my opinion, replacing the screen is the same level of difficulty as replacing the inverter (and way more expensive). Any computer repair shop can do this fix, but it's likely to be pricey. If you can't do it yourself, and it's an older laptop, you might be better off putting the money toward a new laptop. Hope this helps.
Frogman Mickey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users