Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Play DVD's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thickdad

Thickdad

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Firstly I should probably never be let loose with a computer !!

I'm having trouble with DVD's, although Windows Media Player used to play them I can no longer get it to function.
There have been so many changes it's not possible to go back to a recent time when it did work.
This is the message I get :-

Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.

Now it will play videos made on my small digi camera which are MVI format.
The Microsoft site says it can provide a mpeg-2 decoder for a payment, but it must have been here as part of the Windows Media Centre. The audio side still works fine.

Thickdad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:52 PM

There have been so many changes it's not possible to go back to a recent time when it did work.

What does that mean please?

#3 Thickdad

Thickdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

That means this system began to stall it was so slow - I tried removing unwanted programmes & stored information. I had no success in getting it moving at an acceptable speed and let a young friend have it for several months. He had mixed success and when I had it back I did more 'messing around' In the end I regained acceptable speed of operation.
So as I said, the amount of changes have not been logged and I'm not particularly aware at what point the DVD video playback was lost.
Yet the small digi camera video playback works as do the CD and HD stored music files.
I would suggest either a shared file was deleted, or something has been disabled during the tidy-up ? But where to start looking ?

Thickdad.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

Well, I'd suggest a repair install. Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option. Done properly, all apps and preferences will remain intact. You'll have to go to Windows Update and re-download / install all updates after the installation is complete. Here's a detailed walk-through: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

You might try the K-Lite Codec Pack, Full

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users