Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot run windows (Vista) update or windows restore after malware invasion...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jntmjt1

jntmjt1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Hello,

A couple of months ago, my computer was infected by malware. I can't remember the details, but it was one where it appeared to be notifying me my computer was vulnerable and I needed to run the recommended scan. When I did, I couldn't even navigate though Internet Explorer due to all of the false "Virus" notifications.

I did some homework and found how to use "Safe Mode" and get into the regestry and delete the problem files, which I did (or at least thought I did).

Now, I've realized that my computer must still be somewhat infected because Windows Update doesn't work... it just slows my computer down to snail's pace to the point it is unusable. And also, my System Restore isn't working. It says that I have never saved a backup point to revert to (which I'm sure I have; it's set to do so automatically). I haven't tried to manually create a restore point, because I'm afraid to have that as my backup since I have these problems.

I've ran the MalwareBytes software and also my McAfee Antivirus Plus, but neither detect the problem. I don't have 100% confidence my antivirus software is truly protecting me.

Any help you can give me in gettting my computer clean would be much apprecaited.

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users