Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Accounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HONEYDAMMIT

HONEYDAMMIT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:54 PM

Greeting All,

I am relatively new at computers but I am anxious to learn. I consider myself self-taught and get most of my knowledge from forums like this. Thanks to all that participate.

My question involves User Accounts. Everytime someone changes something on their desktop or adds a toolbar, all the other users desktops, etc. changes, too. I thought thats what profiles and user settings were all about - individualized accounts. There are 4 accounts on this machine and all have admin rights. Is there a way for one user to change something and not effect the other users.

Thanks again for your time.

Manufacturer/model - Hp pavillion
Operating System - Windows XP home-sp2

Mod Edit: Closed font tag. ~tg~

Edited by tg1911, 23 December 2005 - 11:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HONEYDAMMIT

HONEYDAMMIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:05 PM

Hello again. If i need to add more information to this post to help you all with an answer, please let me know. If anyone can give me another site or forum that might be able to help me out, also let me know.

Thanks for your time

#3 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:28 AM

is just your account that changes everyone's or does every account have the same problem?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

I'm sorry you are still waiting for a good fix for your problem, the only issue I see with your setup is having so many administrators is not recommended for security reasons. Why this would affect the way programs install I'm not sure.

Can you change the other users to limited accounts?

Other forums - I don't really use them but you could search these for similar problems:
http://www.tek-tips.com/
http://www.experts-exchange.com/
http://forums.techguy.org/index.php

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 HONEYDAMMIT

HONEYDAMMIT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:50 AM

This seems to happen to all accounts. If someone adds an icon to their desktop, the icon shows up on all accounts. If for example. I delete an icon from my desktop, it disappears on the others desktops. This is not my computer, so I can not change anyone else's admin rights. Dont ask. Anyway, another question then about why everyone having admin accounts is a security risk? I'm the only one who does maintenance on this machine. I keep everything up to date and perform the defrags and clean up the temp. internet files.

Thanks again for eveyone's time.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

Admin group usernames can effect system wide changes, limited group usernames can not.
Malware seeks to make system-wide change(s) often enough, so it manipulates the PC within
an admin username (or as one)

If there exists one admin and various (levels) of limited users, it's less likely that your PC will be
accessible to the malware.

Read about the user names in the help built into winXP, or a google search.

Typically a limited user can not download/install programs, make certain deletions or move files in some ways.
WinXP has stronger file security functions, with Pro more than home edition, also.

The result would be this:
Admin user downloads installs anti-spyware & a variety of system-wide applications.
If chosen, these icons may appear on all desktops if all persons are permited to use the applications.

All desktops will indicate starting programs at work, like anti-virus or "resident" alerting anti-spyware blocking.

The actual wallpaper, icon size issues, etc. will vary from desktop to desktop among all users.
Each different user will have their own My Documents, desktop folders, etc.
Not all users icons will be the same if for instance one user has a game, but another doesn't play that one.
Start menus can be customized, too.

Admin might have Windows Update & Windows Marketplace, where the others can have those removed from the list. Each user's MRUs (Most Recently Run) files willvary, so the icons in the start menu will differ based on how each individual uses the PC.

When multiple users are set up, be careful when running apps like spy-bot or adaware that can identify and delete the "low risk" or "negligible" items as you can exclude from each user the things that might effect just them or all.

Just some basic info.

I'm not sure why your PC is behaving as you describe, unless upon close scrutiny you find the all admin users situation practically results in a deviation from the normal behavior based on what has been configured within the apps running presently,available to all to change in anyway.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:51 AM

There's actually 2 desktops on your profile - one is yours and the other is the "All Users" account. Normally it defaults to the individual account and not the All Users account - so I'm afraid that I can't help.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users