Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starting Over

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Baldo

Baldo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

I have an old Dell Inspiron 9100; currently have Win XP Professional (sp2) / Pentium 4 (dual core) / 512MB RAM. Its a 2nd laptop of mine that i was thinking of using to experiment on, maybe even use as a file server, so i can start getting my hands dirty with setting up a home network.

I did have a few viruses on it that i never got around to cleaning; i had shut her down & packed it away for about 2 years. I just took it out again & have some extra time to finally do something with it. There is nothing personal on it, so rather than trying to clean it up, I want to blow out the OS & start from scratch for my own practice & experience.

I guess im looking to start some dialouge around the best aproach for this &/or sugggestions? I was planning on re-loading Win XP Professional using the original CD. Any thought's / ideas / commments on the best way to blow out the OS & then start my reinstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Boot to the XP CD, delete the existing partition, create a new one, format, install. After installation to the following:

1) Install all drivers beginning with the chipset driver
2) Install an anti virus utility and update the definitions
3) Upgrade to SP3
4) Download and install all Windows Updates (but NOT hardware / driver updates - NEVER get them from Windows Update)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

To add to Allan's suggestions, if your computer is still infected you might consider wiping the hdd with a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke which will completely overwrite the hdd eliminating all traces of any infection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Baldo

Baldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thank you both for the info - much appreciated!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users