Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External DVD drive quit working with laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roget

Roget

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hello! I really hope you guys (and ladies) can help me.

My Asus sdrw-08d1s-u DVD RW drive that I use all the time (typically just to play CDs) has stopped being recognized by my computer (Toshiba Satellite T135 laptop). One second it was working fine. After a reboot to update iTunes it quit working. I don't really see why an iTunes update would bother it, but that is the only thing that changed from when it worked to when it didn't, as far as I can remember.

I tried uninstalling the drive and then rebooting so the computer could find it and reinstall the device, but that doesn't work. It finds the device, but then it says the drivers were not successfully installed.

I tried the drive on my wife's computer (the exact same laptop model) and it works fine when connected to her computer. So obviously something has become corrupt on my laptop, but what?! And how do I fix it?!

I was thinking: When I uninstall the device, are there still traces left that may not allow it to be reinstalled correctly? Like in the registry? Are there any specific registry items that I should delete as well and then try again to reinstall the device? Just a thought.

Also, if it helps, this is the error code I find in the device status box when I look at the properties:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roget

Roget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Nevermind, I figured it out. For anyone else having a similar problem, go to the "let me fix it myself" section of the following page. The answer is there. You have to delete a couple of registry entries.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users