Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently downloaded a Trojan :s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lolwot

lolwot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:43 AM

So I accidently downloaded a trojan from a file which I thought was a pdf. I scanned it with trend micro and it didn't find anything, so I opened it. It didn't run so I immediately checked it with virustotal (which I should have done before)The report is here: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=8333dfa26a8c70244dcffc24dfaf520b7f97a0b6f614f3f48bf0fc24a19b4867-1296901744 So I immediatly download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (as this is new laptop) and it found 3 things:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5683

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

5/02/2011 9:44:58 PM
mbam-log-2011-02-05 (21-44-58).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 141380
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
c:\Users\Samuel\AppData\Roaming\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> 1616 -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\(default) (Trojan.Agent) -> Value: (default) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\Users\Samuel\AppData\Roaming\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

So what do I do now? I was on a wireless network, will it spread? Are my details and files safe?

Edited by lolwot, 05 February 2011 - 06:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:19 PM

Rescan again with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Quick Scan) in normal mode and check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

Please download Norman Malware Cleaner and save to your desktop.
alternate download link
If you previously used Norman, delete that version and download it again as the tool is frequently updated!
  • Be sure to read all the information Norman provides on that same page.
  • Double-click on Norman_Malware_Cleaner.exe to start. Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
    The tool is very slow to load as it uses a special driver. This is normal so please be patient.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and click the Accept button to open the scanning window.
  • Click Start Scan to begin.
  • In some cases Norman Malware Cleaner may require that you restart the computer to completely remove an infection. If prompted, reboot to ensure that all infections are removed.
  • After the scan has finished, a log file a log file named NFix_date_time (i.e. NFix_2009-06-22_07-08-56.log) will be created on your desktop with the results.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- Note: If you need to scan a usb flash drives or other removable drives not listed, use the Add button to browse to the drives location, click on the drive to highlight and choose Ok.

Please download and scan with the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool from one of the links provided below and save it to your desktop.
Link 1
Link 2Be sure to print out and read the instructions provided in:How to Install Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
How to use the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to automatically remove viruses
  • Double-click the setup file (i.e. setup_9.0.0.722_22.01.2010_10-04.exe) to select your language and install the utility.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If you receive a UAC prompt asking if you would like to continue running the program, you should press the Continue button.
  • When the 'Setup page' appears, click Next, check the box 'I accept the license agreement' and click Next twice more to begin extracting the required files.
  • Setup may recommend to scan the computer in Safe Mode. Click Ok.
  • A window will open with a tab that says Autoscan and one for Manual disinfection.
  • Click the green Start scan button on the Autoscan tab in the main window.
  • If malware is detected, you will see the Scan Alert screen. Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • After the scan finishes, if any threats are left unneutralized in the Scan window (Red exclamation point), click the Neutralize all button.
  • Place a checkmark in the Apply to all box, and click Disinfect if the button is active.
  • If advised that a special disinfection procedure is required which demands system reboot, click the Ok button to close the window.
  • In the Scan window click the Reports button, choose Critical events and select Save to save the results to a file (name it avptool.txt).
  • Copy and paste the report results of any threats detected and if they were successfully removed in your next reply. Do not include the longer list marked Events.
  • When finished, follow these instructions on How to uninstall Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2010.
-- If you cannot run this tool in normal mode, then try using it in "safe mode".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 lolwot

lolwot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:01 AM

Your a life saver quietman7!!!

Here is the MBAM log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 5683

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

6/02/2011 7:41:42 AM
mbam-log-2011-02-06 (07-41-42).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 141341
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 43 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Norman Malware Cleaner

Version 1.8.3
Copyright 1990 - 2010, Norman ASA. Built 2011/02/05 13:16:21

Norman Scanner Engine Version: 6.07.03
Nvcbin.def Version: 6.07.00, Date: 2011/02/05 13:16:21, Variants: 9826263

Scan started: 2011/02/06 07:45:53

Running pre-scan cleanup routine:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 6.1.7600
Logged on user: Samuel-PC\Samuel

Scanning kernel...

Kernel scan complete

Scanning bootsectors...

Number of sectors found: 1
Number of sectors scanned: 1
Number of sectors not scanned: 0
Number of infections found: 0
Number of infections removed: 0
Total scanning time: 0s 47ms

Scanning running processes and process memory...

Number of processes/threads found: 7800
Number of processes/threads scanned: 7800
Number of processes/threads not scanned: 0
Number of infected processes/threads terminated: 0
Total scanning time: 4m 36s

Scanning file system...

Scanning: prescan

Scanning: C:\*.*

C:\Users\Samuel\AppData\Local\Temp\jar_cache5573462122331427343.tmp/EvilBobPrison4.class (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220005))

C:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\flvplayer_2.0.25\flvplayer_setup.exe/noname.nsis/file12/file0 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220000))

C:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\flvplayer_2.0.25.zip/flvplayer_setup.exe/noname.nsis/file12/file0 (Error whilst scanning file: I/O Error (0x00220000))

Scanning: postscan

Running post-scan cleanup routine:

Number of files found: 317695
Number of archives unpacked: 6938
Number of files scanned: 317662
Number of files not scanned: 33
Number of files skipped due to exclude list: 0
Number of infected files found: 0
Number of infected files repaired/deleted: 0
Number of infections removed: 0
Total scanning time: 1h 12m 52s

Are my passwords safe if I didn't use them?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Try doing an online scan to see if it finds anything else that the other scans may have missed.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. If using a different browser, you will be given the option to download and use the ESET Smart Installer.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Anytime you encounter a malware infection on your computer, especially if that computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and any online activities which require a username and password. You should consider them to be compromised and change passwords from a clean computer as a precaution in case an attacker was able to steal your information when the computer was infected. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified immediately of the possible security breach. Failure to notify your financial institution and local law enforcement can result in refusal to reimburse funds lost due to fraud or similar criminal activity.

If using a router, you also need to reset it with a strong logon/password before connecting again. Consult these links to find out the default username and password for your router, and write down that information so it is available when doing the reset:These are general instructions for how to reset a router,:
  • Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
  • Locate the router's reset button.
  • Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
  • Wait for the Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on (On the router).
  • Plug in or turn on your modem (if it is separate from the router).
  • Open your web browser to see if you have an Internet connection.
  • If you don't have an Internet connection you may need to restart your computer.
For more specific information on your particular model, check the owner's manual. If you do not have a manual, look for one on the vendor's web site which you can download and keep for future reference.

#5 lolwot

lolwot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

The log was clean nothing was found :clapping: THANK YOU SO MUCH quietman7 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :busy:

Edited by lolwot, 07 February 2011 - 04:47 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:23 AM

You're welcome.

If there are no more problems or signs of infection, you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Posted Image > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Posted Image > Run... and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users