Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Move Function: Move Folders & Lose Files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ShawnTeo

ShawnTeo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

Employee claims that while using the Move function to place folders in a different directory tree the folders were moved but the files were lost. I have tried to duplicate the action but have not been able to replicate losing the files. Talked to experts said no way it will happen. One in a million chance it will occur. However, employee claims replicated Move operation multiple times (10-15 folders) and lost files multiple times (7-10 times), but not every time.

Is this possible? I must fire employee for extensive data loss. However, if truly unintentional, and I can replicate as proof-- Employee keeps job.

Edited by ShawnTeo, 05 February 2011 - 03:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:23 AM

As the experts you spoke with indicated, there is virtually no way this could happen. Even if there was a copy error that Windows didn't detect and abort the move operation, you'd still likely end up with some sort of file even if it was corrupted and unreadable.

One in a hundred trillion chance of happening.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 05 February 2011 - 03:27 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 ShawnTeo

ShawnTeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:27 AM

Is there any type of virus that would duplicate this type of random action?

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

Have you made any attempts to recover the "lost files"? The free program from Piriform, Recuva File Recovery, may be helpful in that aspect.

If your computers are well protected with updated anti-virus \ malware programs, have you run scans?

Just in case this is a virus infection, I suggest you post in the "Am I Infected? What To Do?" forum and get expert help with the problem.

Edited by TulsaRose, 05 February 2011 - 08:26 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 ShawnTeo

ShawnTeo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Thank you TulsaRose. Yes did use Piriform's Recuva. Found nearly 15,000 files that had been deleted using Recuva's deep scan option. The recovered files went back several years. The lost data files in question were not among the files identified by Recuva.

Also ensured files were not hidden or inadvertently relocated to some other location on the hard drive.

I can not configure how the action was unintentional. And the files were not inadvertently deleted, per Move's functionality, and Recuva's inability to identify some form of residue from the most recent sequential action.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

FWIW: If there is an input/output problem...such as a delayed write failure...it might be possible.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&biw=1339&bih=535&q=data+lost%2C+delayed+write+failed+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&fp=3fb9bd9867e8cd76

When I get delayed-write errors...I don't notice any data loss and I find it usually a hard drive connection problem causing the failures.

When moving files in folders, the folders will be the first object appearing in the new location.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

Have you tried a Windows Search for the files? You can choose to search by date modified any files \ folders with changes. Maybe you could pin down something that way.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,792 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

Is there any type of virus that would duplicate this type of random action?

While malware could cause this kind of behavior, it's extremely unlikely to be the case. Modern malware is designed with an almost singular purpose: to make money. Randomly deleting files on move is hardly behavior that helps to accomplish that goal.

If you like you can start a thread in Am I infected? What do I do? and we'll help you put the machine through it's paces.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Is this possible? I must fire employee for extensive data loss. However, if truly unintentional, and I can replicate as proof-- Employee keeps job.

I must caution that any advice you obtain from Bleeping Computer, should not be construed as legally binding when dealing with employment and labor law related matters.

Please reference our Terms of Use

Pertinent section quoted below:

10. Further Legal Issues
C). Further Information.
BleepingComputer.com provides information of a general technical nature and is designed for information and entertainment purposes only. The information found on BleepingComputer.com is not meant to be a substitute for any legal, financial, medical, or health advice. Please consult with a professional for this type of information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:07 PM

How about something simpler, like doing a System Restore to a date previous to the event?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users