Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't extend volume in Computer management..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sepulcher

Sepulcher

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

I am am running Windows 7 64, and my C drive was 150GB, and the other drive was 450GB. I decided to extend or expand it by deleting one of the volumes. However, I have come across a speed bump while doing this. After deleting my unused partition which was 450GB, and right clicked on the C drive to extend, but the extend option is greyed out. The shrink volume seems to be clickable though.

Any help would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

Just to confirm, these are two partitions on the same hard drive, correct? If so, there IS free space available in the partition adjacent to c: drive, is that also correct?

#3 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:33 AM

Just to confirm, these are two partitions on the same hard drive, correct? If so, there IS free space available in the partition adjacent to c: drive, is that also correct?

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, there are 2 partitions on the same hard drive. There is 425GB free out of 425GB on the partition adjacent.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

Okay. While Disk Management is supposed to let you expand the system partition if there is free space adjacent to it, that's not always the case. Try Easeus Partition Master - it's free and the newest version is supposed to be a lot better at manipulating the system partition. As is always the case when performing functions at disk level, be sure to back up any and all critical data first. Even better, use disk imaging software to create an image of your drive (or system partition) so you have a safe haven if needed.

#5 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

Do I need to make an .iso of my computer? My computer came with a hidden recovery partition, can't I just leave it like that?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:08 AM

Do I need to make an .iso of my computer? My computer came with a hidden recovery partition, can't I just leave it like that?

Absolutely - that should be fine. Still, I prefer Disk Imaging software. The hidden partition will get you back to the day you received the system. A recent image will get you back to the time the image was created. Personally, I create images of the system partitions on my systems once a week and save them to separate hd's (both internal and external. Either way, your call.

Edited by Allan, 07 February 2011 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users