Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Turning Off

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 kevinW

kevinW

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:58 PM

dont know if this a virus or whats really going on with my comp, i will be on from 2 mins - 1 hr and it will just shut off into power saving mode.
im wondering if anyone can give me any help or thoughts i have scanned a million times

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

dont know if this a virus or whats really going on with my comp, i will be on from 2 mins - 1 hr and it will just shut off into power saving mode.
im wondering if anyone can give me any help or thoughts i have scanned a million times

This could be many different problems. Lets start with so easy fixes to see if they work first.

1. Go to "Start>Control Panel>Power Options"
2. Now under "Power Schemes" tab make it say "Always on" and also the "Settings for Always On power schemes area" Should all be set at "Never" click Apply and ok.

3. If that doesn't work your computer may be overheating. Overheating is a major problem with computers turning off all of a sudden. If it is over heating try cleaning out the insides of your computer and also installing some better fans.

#3 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:21 PM

This could be many different problems. Lets start with so easy fixes to see if they work first.

1. Go to "Start>Control Panel>Power Options"
2. Now under "Power Schemes" tab make it say "Always on" and also the "Settings for Always On power schemes area" Should all be set at "Never" click Apply and ok.

3. If that doesn't work your computer may be overheating. Overheating is a major problem with computers turning off all of a sudden. If it is over heating try cleaning out the insides of your computer and also installing some better fans.

not over heating and the power options thing i did

but still probs

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:37 PM

Please use the Add Reply not the "Quote button, unless you need to quote a specific post.

This could be an overheating problem - Here's what you do:
Buy a can of compressed air from the supermarket, electronics store, etc.
Shutdown and power off, take the computer outside maybe, then open the case and use the compressed air to blow all the crud out of the CPU fans and heatsink (use a pencil to jam the fans because they can be damaged by overspinning in the air blast) Do the same for the power supply fan and the video card fan and heatsink if there is one.
Take the PC back inside and connect it up. Before replacing the cover power up the PC and check all the fans are spinning. If not they may need to be replaced.

Do NOT use air-compressor air for this as there is a problem with the high moisture content.

kevinW - I see you have replied and say it's not an overheat problem. How did you determine that? A little more forthcoming in your replies please.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 14 December 2005 - 10:38 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

Bad RAM can make a computer erratic. Try running a memory test, and Everst. Here are the links...

Everest home (hardware and software information) Site 1
Everest home (hardware and software information) Site 2

Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:42 PM

I know this is "Off Topic " but..
"phatcat42141" please tell me thats not a real cat. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

kevinW - I see you have replied and say it's not an overheat problem. How did you determine that? A little more forthcoming in your replies please.

:thumbsup:

ok did all the stuff cleaned it out, the comp being hot was because of the heater vent
fixed that problem and now it cool 'not overheating' and is still doing this.

i have noticed though that it does it when im using high memory/gfx programs "ex: games, etc"
could just be a coincidence but anyway
here info as ya can see its good

PEntium 4 CPU 2.20GHz
2.19 GHz, 1.00 GB ram

#8 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:33 AM

anyone?

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

How do we know for sure that the overheating problem is cured? It may still be related to heat, or bad RAM. Have you run the tests in acklan's post? What were the results?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#10 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

ok got guy coming out tuesday but hopefully we can fix before!
lol anyway

Screen says Dsub analog power saving mode

when it turns off, hopefully this will ring a bell and help my computer be fixed

#11 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:59 PM

Interesting post......
Not 100% sure on this but if it's bad RAM then surely the comp wouldn't stay on for an hour as stated in his first post, and doesn't bad RAM lead to a blue screen ? and not a complete shut down ?

kevinW - does the comp shut down completely or just go into some sort of "Power Saving" mode ?

Just clutching at straws here guys.
JTH

#12 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:04 PM

completely shuts off

says dsub for about 5 seconds after processor shuts off, then monitor goes 2

#13 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 07:04 PM

My old computer had bad ram and it never went to a blue screen. But i have seen other computers that do go to a blue screen so I think bad ram could still be the problem.

#14 kevinW

kevinW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 04:17 AM

this isnt a blue screen problem

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:41 AM

Are you using one of these connectors?
http://www.dsubconnector.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users