Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there such a Download Utility / App?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ClearFocus

ClearFocus

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:17 AM

Did some searching, but after playing with a few download managers and similar, not sure if what I desire is out there.

I'm looking for what can most likely be called a Download Manager utility, but with the ability to do the following:

1. Allow me to schedule downloads of particular types. i.e. download once a month or once every two months
2. To automatically determine when a new version of a app is available for download and automatically download it (redistributable)

Basically, for files such as CCleaner, Firefox, Chrome (all users / redistributable), Adobe Acrobat Reader, Picasa, CutePDF, AVG Free, Antivir Free, MalwareBytes Free ... and similar, I am looking for an app that can do both items above #1 & #2.

I am even having trouble setting up Free Download Manager to download some of the above successfully. Must be due to redirects to mirrors, etc. and the URL I am able to provide doesn't work. Uggh.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:13 AM

There are apps like Secunia that will notify you when a program updates but you still have to physically download it. I haven't seen anything that will do what you want and for security reasons I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway. I want to know what I'm downloading before I download it.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:03 PM

FileHippo update checker can tell you if an updated software is available.
http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

..........and for security reasons I'm not sure it's a good idea anyway. I want to know what I'm downloading before I download it.

:thumbsup:

#5 ClearFocus

ClearFocus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users