Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access removable USB device, cannot connect to windows update, and taskbar and desktop icons occasionally disappear when first started up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kanaGen

kanaGen

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:49 AM

About 4 months ago my computer started starting up and only showing my background. It didn’t the taskbar or any of my desktop icons. This only happened every once and a while so I just ignored it for the most part. I could get the taskbar and icons back sometimes by starting up a program using the task manager, logging off and logging back on using the task manager, or just shutting down my computer by holding in the power button for a few seconds. The power button was the only way that worked all the time to get my desktop back to normal. Also the task manager wouldn’t work at shutting down the computer by command so holding in the power button was the only way to restart it when it does this. Starting about a week ago I cannot access my mp3 player all of a sudden. My mp3 player does connect, it shows the USB icon on task bar and mp3 player screen lights up to show it’s connected. Whenever I go into my computer the drive that the mp3 player is suppose to be doesn’t show up and when I type in the address it gives a pop-up saying the drive is inaccessible. I’ve had my mp3 player for 2-3 years and have connected it regularly in the past and have never had this type of problem. Also I have managed to connect it to my mother’s computer without any problems just today so it proves it isn’t my mp3 player that’s causing the problem. 2 days ago I got some sort of error while trying to load a website, I don’t recall the exact message and haven’t gotten another one since but it mentioned something about Win32. The website worked after refreshing the page and I haven’t gotten that problem since. Another problem I’m having which I just noticed today is that I am having trouble connecting to windows update. It isn’t displaying the webpage. It only tries to load the site for like 2 seconds. I did notice something about DNS error I believe it said but it came up and disappeared rather quickly and didn’t come up in a pop-up. The error only showed down in the bottom bar thing while it was trying to load the page. Windows update is the only page that’s not able to be displayed and there is no problem with my internet connection. Also I checked on my mother’s computer and her windows update is working fine so it isn’t a website problem. As far as I’ve seen those are the only problems as of now. Now to explain what I have tried to do to fix it on my own. I have run check disk. I have run a virus scan, AVG 2011 free antivirus, and immediately afterwards I ran a malware scan, malwarebytes anti-malware, and removed all malware and viruses detected. I also attempted to restore my computer to 4 days ago, February 1st, and it didn’t fix any of the problems. I could really use help on this. Also I’m not very computer savvy so I’m going to need as simple instructions as possible on how to resolve this problem.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2011 - 08:15 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am i Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kanaGen

kanaGen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 AM

ok i managed to get a look at the full error message thing with my windows update. It gave me this loading info.

res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm...

that's all it gave though. And also i'm not sure if this is related but everytime i start up my internet it opens up a second window for some google work-at-home like thing. I usually close it out immediately. I don't have anything as far as i know telling my internet to do that.

Edited by kanaGen, 07 February 2011 - 12:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users