Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dmi pool data plus bonus hal.dll missing when using boot disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vajmh

vajmh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

To start out, after restarting my computer a while ago I found the message "verifying DMI pool data... update success" and then a little blinking underscore. This messange and blinky would sit there forever and the computer couldnt get past that screen. Some suggestions led me to try a boot cd (I dont have a windows cd, I'm running an emacines 2008 model with windows xp pro) IO dowloaded one from this link

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/Boot_CD_and_Boot_Disk_Images_and_ISO_free_downloads.htm

then burned it to cd as an image, inserted it, and chose to boot from cd rom. It seemed to work, it got past the dmi pool data screen, but then this error came up:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

And that's where I am now. It said somewhere that this can happen when you try to boot from another device, but I obviously havent got much of a choice just now. Is there any way to access safe mode or recovery or anything before this DMI pool data or hal.dll error hits? All the options I've found so far are F2 and F10. I'd also be open to any small or reasonably sized file I could burn to my boot disk to help with this. I'm running on an ancient backup compuiter with 56 k ATM.

Edited by vajmh, 05 February 2011 - 12:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Reference, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

There is no simple answer, no simple cause.

Louis

#3 vajmh

vajmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

In that case, is there any way I can get past this verifying DMI pool data update success freezey screen? the hal.dll problem seems to be produced when I attempt to boot from my burned boot cd... if I could get past the DMI problem I wouldnt have to do that.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:09 AM

As I said...no simple answer that i know of.

Did you look at all the varying links?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users