Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display on monitor & no post beep. RAM is good

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dutch70

Dutch70

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hi all,
I have a Gateway GT5692 desktop computer. With these Specs
It was given to me by my mother I really want to see what is on it...Pics, Vids, etc...

I'ts still in factory condition. I think she only used it for a few months before something happened, possibly a surge?
I'm not sure & can't ask her now.

The pc turns on, but has no display on the monitor, just a black screen. (yellow power light on monitor) When I unplug the vga cord, the red,blue,etc, thing moves across the screen until I plug it back in. I've checked it on 2 other good monitors. I've tried re-seating & relocating the RAM & I know the RAM is good b/c it's in this PC as I type. I've also tried removing the CMOS battery for 20-30 min to reset it & still...no joy.

I have a Compaq Presario SR5350F that I may be able to use to check some parts if possible. I'm not sure if the video card is removable from either machine. Specs for the Compaq are here...

btw...I've also checked the CD ROM by putting an Ubuntu 10.10 live cd in it & you can hear it spinning, but still no output on the monitor.

Edited by Dutch70, 04 February 2011 - 11:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to check or fix this computer?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

A yellow light on most displays indicates they are not receiving a signal from the system. Check the cables, the connection to the video card, and make sure the video card is properly seated.

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:46 PM

As Allan suggests, it seems like no signal from the PC to the monitor.

The specs on the Gateway say:

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated Graphics

So I don't think you have a video card to remove/reseat. If it is the video that's fried from a surge, you could try adding a new video card.
I see there should be a PCI-E x16 slot available.

The Compaq specs say integrated graphics too, so don't think there's much to swap, short of the disk drives and maybe memory.

Bill253

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

If all you want is the pics etc from the Gateway consider taking the hard drive out and simply connecting it to your system. That would be the easiest thing to do.
That way you could copy any pics you wanted onto your hard drive.

Both systems use SATA hard drives. All you would need is a SATA data cable which is cheap. Attach the hard drive to an available SATA connector on the motherboard and attach a power lead. Assuming that the drive is good, the system should just see it.

Edited by Eyesee, 07 February 2011 - 06:02 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

As Allan suggests, it seems like no signal from the PC to the monitor.

The specs on the Gateway say:

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated Graphics

So I don't think you have a video card to remove/reseat. If it is the video that's fried from a surge, you could try adding a new video card.
I see there should be a PCI-E x16 slot available.

The Compaq specs say integrated graphics too, so don't think there's much to swap, short of the disk drives and maybe memory.

Bill253

Thanks everyone, for the replies...

So, if I understand you correctly. My ATI Radeon HD 3200 is not replaceable, but I can add a graphics card to the PCI-E slot?
Is there any way to check the graphics card?

I have no idea what to look for, as far as video cards go. I would want one that's has at least equal performance or better depending on the price.

I have checked the cables btw.

Edited by Dutch70, 07 February 2011 - 09:10 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

If I understand correctly you've tried two other displays with the same result. If the cables are definitely good and no display works, it's almost certainly the video chip.

#8 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

So, if I understand you correctly. My ATI Radeon HD 3200 is not replaceable, but I can add a graphics card to the PCI-E slot?

I have no idea what to look for, as far as video cards go. I would want one that's has at least equal performance or better depending on the price.

Right. The Radeon graphics are built onto the motherboard and not replaceable. You should have an available PCI-E slot in which you can add a graphics card. A new graphics card may solve your problem.

As far as what to look for, there are dozens (hundreds?) of choices out there. New ones can be had for as little as under $30 (shipping included), look here at a cheap one from NewEgg. You can also spend in excess of $200 on a fancy new one. ATI was bought out by AMD, so don't let that throw you in searching for a new card.

My suggestion would be to go for an inexpensive model to make sure replacing the video card solves the problem. The one I linked to above is based on Nvidia. I see there's a Radeon HD card available for ~$35 if you really want to stick with ATI/AMD. Of course there are lots of other retailers and more (or less) expensive card choices out there.

One thing to look out for in graphics cards is power consumption - new fancy ones may require lots more power than your PSU can put out. There are lots of choices and considerations to make in selecting a video card, these are just starting suggestions. I recently replaced my onboard graphics with a card similar to the Radeon one above. It was pretty straightforward except for an audio issue, the graphics card routed the sound away from the onboard audio setup/jacks and out through the HDMI port. No too difficult to fix, but be prepared for it. I was able to use the card with my existing 250 watt PSU (until I replaced that too).

Let us know how you're doing,
Bill253

#9 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

If I understand correctly you've tried two other displays with the same result. If the cables are definitely good and no display works, it's almost certainly the video chip.

Yes, I've tried a couple other cords & monitors known to be good. I think it's def the video card then.
I just wonder if the mobo is fried too.

Right. The Radeon graphics are built onto the motherboard and not replaceable. You should have an available PCI-E slot in which you can add a graphics card. A new graphics card may solve your problem.

As far as what to look for, there are dozens (hundreds?) of choices out there. New ones can be had for as little as under $30 (shipping included), look here at a cheap one from NewEgg. You can also spend in excess of $200 on a fancy new one. ATI was bought out by AMD, so don't let that throw you in searching for a new card.

My suggestion would be to go for an inexpensive model to make sure replacing the video card solves the problem. The one I linked to above is based on Nvidia. I see there's a Radeon HD card available for ~$35 if you really want to stick with ATI/AMD. Of course there are lots of other retailers and more (or less) expensive card choices out there.

One thing to look out for in graphics cards is power consumption - new fancy ones may require lots more power than your PSU can put out. There are lots of choices and considerations to make in selecting a video card, these are just starting suggestions. I recently replaced my onboard graphics with a card similar to the Radeon one above. It was pretty straightforward except for an audio issue, the graphics card routed the sound away from the onboard audio setup/jacks and out through the HDMI port. No too difficult to fix, but be prepared for it. I was able to use the card with my existing 250 watt PSU (until I replaced that too).

Let us know how you're doing,
Bill253

That's a good price on the video card & good info :thumbup2: , I think nvidia plays well with Linux too, which is what will be on it, but would I be better off to go ahead and get a mobo if they're not too pricey, cause chances are, it's fried too, right? I'm really surprised that the power supply still works, if it was a surge.

Does anyone know of a good/cheap motherboard that would suit this computer, or what kind I would look for?

Sorry for all the questions, this is new territory for me. :crazy:

Edited by Dutch70, 08 February 2011 - 06:31 PM.

#10 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

According to these specs, your SR1303WM has integrated graphics too (most off the shelf systems do/have for quite a while).

Looks like we should backtrack here in our troubleshooting. If you think the mobo is fried, and not just the graphics part of it, then:

You say the RAM is good (used it in another PC?).

You say the PC turns on, and think the PSU is OK - fan spins, lights flash, etc.? Any beeps?
Can you tell if the HDD spins up? Is there a HDD activity light that flashes? Does the DVD try to read, lights flash?

As Eyesee noted above, you could pull the HDD out of the Gateway and stick it in the newer Compaq SR5350F, would need to pick up a STATA data cable somewhere. That would allow you to make sure the HDD is OK and should allow you to access the files on the HDD to see what's there (Pics, Vids, etc.).

While there are a lot of considerations in adding a video card, there are even more to replacing the mobo (probably a new processor too). A new mobo would probably have integrated graphics, eliminating the need for a new graphics card. If you were to get a new graphics card, and the Gateway mobo is fried, you could probably use the card in your SR5350F for upgraded graphics there. My new Radeon HD 4350 works OK with Puppy Linux, but there are some driver issues. I've heard Nvidia is more willing to work with Linux developers, so that could be a consideration for you.

Anyone else have any motherboard troubleshooting/diagnosing suggestions I didn't think of?

#11 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

According to these specs, your SR1303WM has integrated graphics too (most off the shelf systems do/have for quite a while).

Looks like we should backtrack here in our troubleshooting. If you think the mobo is fried, and not just the graphics part of it, then:

You say the RAM is good (used it in another PC?).

You say the PC turns on, and think the PSU is OK - fan spins, lights flash, etc.? Any beeps?
Can you tell if the HDD spins up? Is there a HDD activity light that flashes? Does the DVD try to read, lights flash?

As Eyesee noted above, you could pull the HDD out of the Gateway and stick it in the newer Compaq SR5350F, would need to pick up a STATA data cable somewhere. That would allow you to make sure the HDD is OK and should allow you to access the files on the HDD to see what's there (Pics, Vids, etc.).

While there are a lot of considerations in adding a video card, there are even more to replacing the mobo (probably a new processor too). A new mobo would probably have integrated graphics, eliminating the need for a new graphics card. If you were to get a new graphics card, and the Gateway mobo is fried, you could probably use the card in your SR5350F for upgraded graphics there. My new Radeon HD 4350 works OK with Puppy Linux, but there are some driver issues. I've heard Nvidia is more willing to work with Linux developers, so that could be a consideration for you.

Anyone else have any motherboard troubleshooting/diagnosing suggestions I didn't think of?

Yes, the RAM is def good. The PSU seems to be working, I've tried the one from my compaq and it didn't change anything. All the fans are working. The cd/dvd player spins and has a green light seemingly inside the case. But the light on the power button doesn't come on.

I really don't want to mess with the hdd right now, not yet anyway.
does anyone have any recommendations for a mobo?

#12 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

Hey Dutch70,

I was reading another thread and saw Allan (thanks Allan!) point someone to this thread dealing with diagnosing motherboard and CPU's. Included on the page is a link to motherboard buying tips.

Hope this is helpful.

#13 Dutch70

Dutch70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Hey Dutch70,

I was reading another thread and saw Allan (thanks Allan!) point someone to this thread dealing with diagnosing motherboard and CPU's. Included on the page is a link to motherboard buying tips.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for the link Bill ....& Allan :-)
Good stuff, but it looks like this project will have to be put on hold for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users