Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google virus, Gmail page crashes and startup errors popup

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

Hi guys,

Been a while since I was here. Anyway, I just ran into a number of errors. I recently installed google's gnotifier for gmail and chrome has been on the machine for a week. Tonight now, via my startup services, which gnotify is one of them, I first got this error:

application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)

I got it twice. Then, I got the exact same message, without an accompanying error number, for the avg tray utility for AVG 2011 free edition that I have. After, I started up google chrome and I got:

Whoa! Google chrome has crashed. restart now?

The booting of the browser program alone resulted in the error, time after time, but only after my homepage would load. It would simply freeze up and throw the error.

So I uninstalled both of these apps, ran CCleaner through the registry, restarted the machine and the errors went away. Then, I used FF to check my gmail account and the browser immediately did the same thing after loading my email account page. I have checked 10 other websites with FF and even done some downloads to pinpoint the issue, and it seems to be the gmail page only.

In general, it seems to be a google virus of somekind. I did download HijackThis from Trendmicro's site but I don't really know what to make of the report, except to read the "more info" dialog when I press the button.

I would really like some thoughts on this if you guys have any. I've seen some recent threads here on an apparent redirect virus that came from google, so I'm wondering if this is related.

Thanks guys!

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

Hello and :welcome: to BleepingComputer.

Let's see what we're dealing with here.

Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Before we begin, you should disable any anti-malware software you have installed so it does not interfere with RKill running. This is because some anti-malware software mistakenly detects RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how to disable your security software.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

IMPORTANT!!! - when you save the file, rename it to something random, such as bubbles.exe This must be done before beginning the download!

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

~Blade

In your next reply, please include the following:
Malwarebytes Log

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

I've seen this template reply on many posts from you Blade, but yes I'll follow the instructions and post back, since I have not tried asking for help here in many years...

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hello.

I've seen this template reply on many posts from you Blade

This is used as a starting point for generalized identification and elimination of malware issues. Experience has shown that the Rkill/MBAM combination is effective against a large number of malware issues. If this approach fails, then it will give us information which will help us to further identify what kind of issue we're dealing with, or whether your problem is malware related at all.

I hope that explains my process a bit for you. :)

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

a few other quick things that'll give you an idea before I try your stuff (which I can't do until later today anyway). by the way, the machine is an IBM:

*the BIOS is now password protected and I can't get in via F1 at the boot screen (no, I didn't set this!)

*random areas of ms office (and other) program functionalities popup messages that say "you don't sufficient privaleges on this machine to do this. contact your administrator"

*I cannot download any type of file from the internet now because at the last MB of download a message pops that says "download did not complete because you don't have the necessary permissions to complete this action"

So with that said, I'll run your program and see what gives. I'll get back to ya!

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

Hello.

I never heard back from you.

I'm assuming that means all is well?

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

hey Blade,

sorry about that. I am going to do this either tonight or tomorrow, and I'll get back to you, OK? Thank you for the reminder. Trust me, I'll get back to ya soon! I need to get this darn thing fixed...

#8 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

Alright, I will await your response.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#9 ajetrumpet

ajetrumpet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

Blade,

This is a report for my desktop machine:
________________________________________________________________________________

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 6093

Windows 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19019

3/17/2011 10:03:18 PM
mbam-log-2011-03-17 (22-03-18).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 168100
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 18
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{00A6FAF1-072E-44CF-8957-5838F569A31D} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{00A6FAF1-072E-44CF-8957-5838F569A31D} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07B18EA9-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59C7FC09-1C83-4648-B3E6-003D2BBC7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68AF847F-6E91-45dd-9B68-D6A12C30E5D7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170B96C-28D4-4626-8358-27E6CAEEF907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{D1A71FA0-FF48-48dd-9B6D-7A13A3E42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{DDB1968E-EAD6-40fd-8DAE-FF14757F60C7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{F138D901-86F0-4383-99B6-9CDD406036DA} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47a3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{25560540-9571-4D7B-9389-0F166788785A} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{3DC201FB-E9C9-499C-A11F-23C360D7C3F8} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{63D0ED2C-B45B-4458-8B3B-60C69BBBD83C} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{98D9753D-D73B-42D5-8C85-4469CDA897AB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{9FF05104-B030-46FC-94B8-81276E4E27DF} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Associations\bak_Application (Hijacker.Application) -> Value: bak_Application -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Associations\Application (Hijacker.Application) -> Bad: (http://www.helpmeopen.com/?n=app&ext=%s) Good: (http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/%04x/xml/redir.asp?Ext=%s) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I apologize sir, the machine I originally posted about has actually died. Ebay for 185 bucks, and now I'm getting a BIOS message that says "Can't find Operating System". I simply bought another one, because I took a guess that it can't be helped at this point. If you have any ideas on it for me, don't hesitate to let me know!

What do you think of that report for my desktop machine? Thanks!

Adam

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

Hello.

I'm a bit confused. . . you say that the machine you were posting about is dead, and then post a log from MBAM. Is that log from the now-dead machine, or from the other that you bought? Is the new machine having problems? If so, what problems?

As far as your dead machine goes, best place to post about that is in our Internal Hardware forum, sounds like your HDD might be toast. The purpose for this forum is identifying whether or not a machine is infected and dealing with mild infections. If the new computer is having problems, please explain them in detail to me.

~Blade

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users