Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Systemworks 2003 Edition, Error Msg. Lu1875

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 ccarter

ccarter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Hello,
I was prompted by Symantec/Norton to "upgrade" my Live Updates for virus protection and after I did so I continue to get the following message:

The following updates have been aborted:
<Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions has 1 aborted update(s)
Reason:
LU1875: This update failed during its processing welcome text phase

I smell a rat. Is the Symantec's way of compelling the purchase of more current product?

Is there any cure for this problem? Symantec's tech support website (service.symantec.com) doesn't have any information on this Live Update error.

...assistance much appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:52 AM

The cure? Move to one of the freeware antivirus'. We encourage all of then. I left MacAfee for AVG with no regets.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ccarter

ccarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:50 AM

Hi,
I'm presuming you've had no problems with the free antivirus program you use? I'm no patriot for Norton, I'll tell you that. I just had a SpyAxe infection that Norton didn't even recognize in my system. I had to download freeware to monitor whether I finally got rid of it. Then I called their tech support about this problem and was on hold for about a half hour before I got a guy who told me my version is unsupported and I'd have to try to find a remedy for my problem through their automated site....sweet.

Thanks for the recommendation.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 09:25 AM

No problems at all. AAs a matter of fact I had a similar experince. That is why I've you AVG for 2 years now. Here is a list of other freeware that will help secure you computer...

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition AntiVirus Freeware

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial(2000, and XP only)
A Squared Free
SpyBlaster
SpywareGuard

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan
F-secure's Virus Scan
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools

Utility
cCleaner

Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
Fresh Diagnose (Diagnostic and system resource)
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility)
www.bootdisk.com
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls (Use only one.)
Zone Alarm
SyGate Personal Edition
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 06 January 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#5 ccarter

ccarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the assistance. I'm going to look into all of these suggestions.

Happy Holidays!

#6 bickforc

bickforc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:15 AM

There is an workaround - that's if you would prefer to stick with Norton: just use their Intelligent Updater

Hope this helps.

BTW, I use AVG free edition on one of my PCs and it has never failed me yet! Updates are automated and the footprint is almost non-existent compared to other AV programs I've used in the past - especially NIS and NAV.

On the subject of whether a rat is there to be smelled or not, I am convinced that the first moon landing was a hoax - so these things are always possible I suppose. However, I don't think a multi-billion dollar company like symantec would risk the bad press. It is crappy though that they have withdrawn support so early! The only way to counter that is when you hear of someone considering Norton as their AV protection, make sure you make them aware of all the facts before they buy!

#7 old_skool_daze

old_skool_daze

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:24 AM

Hello,
I was prompted by Symantec/Norton to "upgrade" my Live Updates for virus protection and after I did so I continue to get the following message:

The following updates have been aborted:
<Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions has 1 aborted update(s)
Reason:
LU1875: This update failed during its processing welcome text phase

I smell a rat. Is the Symantec's way of compelling the purchase of more current product?

Is there any cure for this problem? Symantec's tech support website (service.symantec.com) doesn't have any information on this Live Update error.

...assistance much appreciated...

I had this problem ...it means it has been corrupted............

I just uninstalled and use Free AVG AV now with no problems.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2006 - 08:07 AM

Did you scrap Norton, or are you tuffing it out?

#9 old_skool_daze

old_skool_daze

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:47 AM

Did you scrap Norton, or are you tuffing it out?

Tuffing it out ?

#10 ferrit

ferrit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:45 AM

error

Edited by ferrit, 09 April 2006 - 12:44 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:55 AM

See the following..

You may see the LU1875 error message if your computer is infected by the Trojan.Abwiz.F threat.

Click here to remove this threat.

Click here for information about Trojan.Abwiz.F.

http://service1.symantec.com/support/share...&build=Symantec

#12 ferrit

ferrit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

1. On running live update you get the “LU1875 error – The update failed during its pre-processing update welcome text phase.”
2. Click on the error to get to the Norton help site
3. Ignore the “Information about the outbreak of Trojan.AbwiI z.F.” I wasted a lot of time on this and got nowhere.
4. Use “Automatically download virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater” press download.
5. This will almost certainly NOT work. It states that Active X must be installed. The instructions here are lousy and I suspect this is the source of most failures by folks reported all over the net. I tried numerous times to use their “Install ActiveX”. Only by trial and error did I get it to work. The only way you can tell if Active X is working is if the automatic download begins to work. If it doesn’t you haven’t got Active X installed they way they want you to. I am sorry I can’t be more specific but I tried numerous times and don’t remember what I did to get this to work.
6. Once you get Active X working the automatic assistant will come up, press download
7. You may get an internet security message (download iucab (Symantec Corp)?), if so press run
8. You may get a “Windows script host message, download virus definitions, this may take 15 minutes". If you close this box the auto-download does not work. So leave it alone till the download is complete
9. Once you have got this to work the next time you simply repeat the above but don’t worry about the Active X (you have already solved this problem).

#13 ferrit

ferrit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:47 PM

incomplete post - see correct one above

Edited by ferrit, 09 April 2006 - 12:50 PM.

#14 Tosca

Tosca

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi there, I've just joined you.

I have had this LU problem for months and only today have I found you and got it fixed. I used the Intelligent Updater from the above link, it did take 40 mins to do, but it's worked and I'm up to date.

Thank you so much. :thumbsup:
Lorraine
Life is like an onion......it has many layers.........and they all STINK.

#15 ferrit

ferrit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:19 PM

I am pleased you were successful in sorting out your problem. I am sorry it took you 40 minutes. Norton knows more than we do and for some reason (perhaps profit or stupidity) they do not care. If you have any information beyond what I posted it might help the next person, Personally when my subscription runs out I shall pick another company. This is sad because I like Norton and want to continue with it. But I do not' like being screwed with.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: ferrit

Fast Reply
I am pleased you were succesful in sorting out your problem. I am sorry it took you 4o minutes. Norton knows more than we do and for some reason (perhaps profit or stupidity). If you have any information beyond what I posted it might help the next person, Personally when my subsrioption runs out I shall pick another company. This is sad because I like Norton and want to continue with it.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: ferrit

Fast Reply
I am pleased you were succesful in sorting out your problem. I am sorry it took you 4o minutes. Norton knows more than we do and for some reason (perhaps profit or stupidity). If you have any information beyond what I posted it might help the next person, Personally when my subsrioption runs out I shall pick another company. This is sad because I like Norton and want to continue with it.

Edited by ferrit, 02 May 2006 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users