Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer started going to sleep, cant wake it up

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 feralfreak

feralfreak

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

hello, it seems my pc has started to go to sleep on me, and when it does i cant wake it up. its not set to go to sleep or anything, ive checked the settings and they dont show any change, and this is a new thing for this pc to be doing which has me very confused and irritated. when it goes to sleep, the monitor goes black like its not getting a signal and the power light goes orange like when the pc is turned off, the pc power light goes orange too, and the hard drive light is on the whole time, the keyboard and mouse fail to respond, it seems to do this if the pc is left alone for a while, but it has at least once done it while i was typing an email, this happened after i updated spybot s and d, i mentioned this to the people at spybot and they claim that the program has nothing to do with my problem

my operating system is windows xp home edition service pack 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

Did you take a look in the Screen safety via properties for the Screen?
My suggestion in this is: Right click on desktop, than property ---- further the tab page Screen Safety.
When you have do this, than you choose the tab energy and clicking that.
Below in that menu see you System in Standby and System in sleep.
If it is correct than is this 2 activated, deactivated this.
You have also the possibility for finality this function for ever.
Goto Start, this computer------choose management via right click, than device management, goto network adapters,
you see now 2 function: 1394 network card and Realtek or whatever fast Ethernet NIC; select this and right click with mouse.
Than choose you properties, goto energy management, you will see now the next remarkable: This computer have the permission for take off the device out the Standby function.
Know you what, I think that when you have check this all and deactivated, your problem is solved.

#3 feralfreak

feralfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

i had tried to attach a pic i made before, when i started the thread, forgot to check the file size, but this is what i have looked at, making this problem confusing to me:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/loganadam/powermanagementstuff.jpg

i think what you are saying to uncheck the box in the network adapter,, that box was already unchecked

Edited by feralfreak, 04 February 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hi,

At this moment have I not really a good solution, but I was looking on Internet and saw the next link:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/63567-power-options-sleep-mode-problems.html

This link is not only for Vista or Windows7, this is also for Windows Xp and further.
I hope that this link is useful for you, if not, my apologizes for this.
Meanwhile you reading the link, I will thinking how can I help you further.?
I must saying that I think also other things, just like hardware problem or Mal ware, but at this moment, I am not sure or it is possible that those things can do that.
Maybe got you in the meanwhile other solutions from members.
The problem is: You told me, that you have unchecked in the Network adapter the things what I did wrote and the problems still there.
This Dutch afternoon was I thinking, maybe is it wise when feralfreak make a Hijackthis log and entering here on the forum for control.
If the guy or lady from Hijackthis department says, your system is fine, than you do know that your system is mal ware free.
When I have found the solution, than I come back.

:busy:

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 05 February 2011 - 03:23 PM.

#5 feralfreak

feralfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

i think you are suggesting i run hijack this, here is my log, i also ran malwarebytes, and it didnt find anything

Edited by elise025, 06 February 2011 - 08:45 AM.
HJT log removed so this topic can stay in this forum ~Elise

#6 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

It is just what I did telling that I don't seen suspect subject, I think on Hardware.
I will trying this day or else the other time, ask for help at a Computer mechanic where I have a connection, he is a good friend from me, maybe does he know the solution.
About the Hjt-log again: I told you that I don't seen suspects files, except one file where I have a question.
My remarkable about this is: Wait until you get answer from a Hijackthis Advisor or Helper, those people do more know than me, I hope.
Your Hjt-log must been in a special forum here on B.C.
If I do know the answer from my friend, than I come back on your topic, I promise that.

Edited by elise025, 06 February 2011 - 08:54 AM.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

Hi feralfreak, I removed the HJT log from your post so this topic can stay here. We allow HJT logs only in the Malware Removal forum.

Since you mention this problem started happening after a Spybot update, did you try to uninstall Spybot and then verify if the problem still occurs?

Can you boot in Safe Mode and check if the problem occurs there?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#8 feralfreak

feralfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:07 AM

it hasnt occurred today, but to be safe i uninstalled spybot today, (surprised me that it didnt fall asleep on me while i was sleeping, when i woke up i uninstalled it)i havent tried safe mode yet

edit:
well, it did again around 3 am, so now im in safe mode, i dont understand this, the settings dont show it being allowd to act like this, why does it pull this on me?! and why wont it wake up when i try to use the keyboard or mouse? im getting tempted to take a sledge hammer to this blasted thing

Edited by feralfreak, 07 February 2011 - 03:19 AM.

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:44 AM

Please click Start > Run, type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

In the EventViewer look for errors under System and Applications around the time that the problem occurred and let me know if there were any.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#10 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

I was reading a topic somewhere on a forum and I saw this:

When the computer after reboot or when you shut on the machine and the machine will immediately in sleep mode, than is this useless a hardware problem, the possibility is that the processor will be overheat.
It is smart when you take off the cap of the case and see or there is dust on the processor.
Dust on the mobo give also troubles.
When the processor or cooler also mobo has dust, than you can remove the dust with air dust spray.
The bottle can you buy in the computer shop also in an advanced photo shop.
My friend told me yesterday that you must check out the bios.
Maybe have you something changed in the bios settings and than get you troubles too.

#11 feralfreak

feralfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

i saw a number of errors but none specifically around that time, and it did it again in safe mode, it seems to do this when the pc is idle for some reason

#12 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:59 PM

i saw a number of errors

Sorry that I ask this, but I don't understand.
Where did you seen the number of errors?
Than you told that it did also in safe mode, my question is: Have you checked inside the machine.?
The problem what you have is useless hardware.
For me or another is it very difficult when we don't know how the settings is from your system and we cannot help you when you don't check the inside of the machine and cleaning up the cpu cooler and other stuff.
When the cpu has no enough paste; that is stuff on the processor that will be care that the processor will not be overheating.
Not enough cpu stuff, dust in the cooler etc. are all things that will be care that the user get troubles.
When you have take a look inside the computer and it is clean, than must we thinking at others, just like a setting what you do have seen over the head.

#13 feralfreak

feralfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

i havent opened the machine yet, i want to do everything i can before i open it(but i likely will have to), but today i got a can of spray air and used some on the back of the housing where the fan is and through the vent holes in the back. the errors were in the event viewer, but not related to the timeframes of when it fell asleep

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:38 AM

Hi, this tutorial may be of help: Cleaning the Interior of your PC

regards, Elise

#15 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

the errors were in the event viewer

I suppose that you does mean, the event log what you get when you use dr.Dos? Have I right?
Maybe is it possible that we can see the event log, sometimes is it possible for people for get information, you know.
But when you doing what I said and you follow the links from miss Elise025, than you will be come a whole end.

I think at lot of things what the problem of your computer is and when I looking the information, than got I the same messages, problem of that is hardware, just like the processor.
Okay, it could be, now we coming back on the cpu: When there is not enough cpu stuff on the cpu ( in my country call we that cpu paste, or there is dust in the cooler or on the cpu self; weird, but it is possible, than you get this sort problems.
The case is that and I saying this in general, that people clean up the pc. inside, time to time.
For all the smokers, must 1 time per month clean up the pc. when they smoking in the room where the machine is.
Maybe is it weird what I tell, but I was in the past a smoker and I get the bill, you know.
I have not the problem with sleeping when I shut on the machine, I have other troubles, that means a new motherboard for me and of course a new processor.
You know, when I had this know earlier, than had I many times clean up my pc. and I was many years ago stopped with smoking, belief me.
I don't know or you are a smoker, but I thought, know you what, I say how I do think over some things, it is good for other people.

Add: How do you know or your cpu will be too hot.?
You can that see, when you use Speedfan or another temperature program.
When you use an Amd processor, than is in the rule a temp. of 66 degrees celsius too hot and when you use a Pentium processor, than is a temp. of 90 degrees celsius too hot. In that case can you know, that the processor has not enough Cpu-stuff.
Temp. of 40 or 45 degrees celsius for both processors are fine.
On Internet can you search for information for the right temperature.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 08 February 2011 - 11:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users