Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot and CPU fan spins slowly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Dell Dimension E520
Win XP SP3
Nvidia 8600GT
4GB Ram
Antec 500W PSU

This computer has never had any issues, all drivers always updated and gets cleaned regularly. I turned this computer on one morning and was presented with a loud fan and nothing on the monitor. The lights on the front panel act "normally". The loud fan sound just sounds like the fan is in overdrive or something. I shut the computer down using the power button, waited a few minutes and tried again. Same thing. I then completely cleaned the inside of the case, removed and cleaned everything! Put it all back together and tried again. Same thing, except no loud fan sound, just a "black" monitor. I did notice that they CPU fan spins slowly when it's trying to boot. My first thought was the PSU. I replaced it with a spare known (assumed) good PSU and get the same results. Also verified the monitor/cables/etc were good. Any ideas?

Would a bad CPU fan cause a "no boot" situation?
Fried motherboard?
Video card?
Hard Drive failure?

Sorry so long. Thanks for any help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

For anyone who has fallen down the same "rabbit hole", I found this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimE520/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1054146

I haven't fixed this issue yet, but this will definitely help...

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Sorry you had to do your own research, but thanks for posting the results!

Good luck with your issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users