Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal of an XP Pro OS from drive C:

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

Hey guys:

A buddy of mine asked me to help him get his computer running. His orginal OS is Windows XP Home. When you turned on the computer, you saw a quick look at the type of computer and then the screen went black and the cursor was blinking in the upper left-hand corner of the monitor. That was it. You couldn't do anything. I thought maybe a system file went missing or corrupt.

So ran the Windows Repair and when it saw the original OS it said I may lose all kinds of info like Documents and Settings etc... It asked if I would like to set up a Windows folder with a different name. I said "yes" and finished the install. This worked and he can now get on either Os he chooses. What it ended up being was a virus.

Now I have often heard that 2 OS's on 1 partition can make the computer unstable. The other thing that's a pain in the butt, is, it now asks you which OS you want to boot to. The one it's defaulting to is the one he doesn't use. So he has to sit there and wait, and then make the proper choice or it goes into the wrong OS. No big deal, but, it's a pain in the neck.

I am looking for the simplest way to uninstall or remove the secondary OS. Or at the very least would be to change the default of the OS to the one he uses always. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2011 - 06:42 PM.
Merged duped posts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,671 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

Boot to the OS you want to keep. Open Windows Explorer and delete the system root of the other Windows (the Windows folder). Don't worry, you cannot delete the installation to which you are booted. Then edit the boot.ini file and remove the now defunct entry. It's that simple.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Let me see if I understand...there are two installs, one which is infected and one which is not.

As for two installs on same partition...that means that there should be two Windows folders viewable from either install. Is that the case?

If both installs are on the same partition and there are two Windows folders...the simple way to get rid of the unwanted install is to both into the desired install...and simply delete the Windows folder of the unwanted install.

After doing this, then correct the boot.ini via manual edit...or Removing the invalid entries from Boot.ini - http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm .

Two XP Installs On Same Partition, #20 (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

#4 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the replies guys:

That's what I'll do. It's gonna happen on Superbowl Sunday. I'll post back and let you know what happened. If I have any ?'s before that, I'll post asap.

Thanks again

#5 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hey Louis:

I didn't mean to not answer your question yesterday. I just got busy with my kids. The 2 installs are on the same partition. It's my buddies computer and I can't for sure tell you that there are 2 Windows Folders on the same partition because I'm not at his house now. The install did tell me to rename the Windows Folder to something else. So yes, I think your thinking is correct. And thanks for the links. I've printed out what I think I need. I'll be working on it around 5PM tomorrow if you have a chance to peek and see if I have any questions. Enjoy the game!!!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

No problem :).

The tutorial is written for users who may be less experinced with this paricular situation than I am (I've done it a couple of times) and it's the safe way.

I just delete the second/unwanted Windows folder, rather than rename...because I'm pretty sure that it's the one I don't want.

The guidance from Mr. Stevens is the better, which is why I included the link :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users