Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Emachine freezes at Dmi pool data update success

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vajmh

vajmh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yesterday I was surfing around on Firefox and noticed some strange goings on with Adobe. I did CTRL ALT DEL and tried to shut it down before it could let anything in, but too late. Spybot SD gave me a warning that something had tried to write to my registry and I denied it. My scans showed Sysguard in my files, something called ioombj somethingorother.exe in my processes, and then a tdll/rootkit hunter program found something else as well. I deleted sysguard but couldnt turn up ioombj which I think is what the tdll hunter found. When it discovered the problem it prompted me to reboot. I'd wanted to run glary registry repair but I figured I should reboot first as the tdll hunter instructed. Perhaps a bad move.

I rebooted and things looked ok briefly til a black screen came up with

verifying DMI pool data.... update success
_

The little underscore just sits there and keeps blinking and the screen will be like that for hours til I restart, and see it come up again. Things I've tried:

Holding the insert key.
going into the configuration (it allows me to hit f2 or f10 before the freezie screen comes up) and restoring defaults.
Holding F8 in hopes of getting to safe mode somehow.
Unplugging the computer and then turning it on again.

Things I am considering trying: Removing and reinserting the RAM sticks (I've never opened this computer and don't want to if I dont have to)

Answers to some questions:
I don't have the windows xp professional boot cd, I'd like to burn something to give me a boot platform onto CD and insert it though.
I don't have a floppy disk drive on this computer.
I havent updated or installed a new version of windows, or any software whatsoever that I know of.
I am currently running on an ancient relic running win98 that I dug out of my closet, you can imagine how unpleasant that is! I'm using internet explorer for chrissakes! Take pity on me!

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2011 - 05:59 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hi,
Try this

http://majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_CD_UBCD_d4981.html

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 vajmh

vajmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

300 megs ay? It'll take me several hours to download on 56 k, but I'll give it a go. hope I can manage to burn it properly off this old dinosaur.

#4 vajmh

vajmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Just found a smaller boot disk file at http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/Boot_CD_and_Boot_Disk_Images_and_ISO_free_downloads.htm I'm working on trying to figure out how to burn it properly to cd right now.

#5 vajmh

vajmh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Got my boot cd burned, opened up disk drive and inserted. restarted and selected boot from cdrom. It got me past the dmi data thing, but now I get this:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users