Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need assistance verifying if this is bad or good?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Found one hidden file today 2/4. Not sure if it is a legitimate Windows file or if I went someplace and became attached to a bad file. I started a scan using Avira, offline before I left for work this morning, something I do daily. I reviewed the scan file after I got off and took notice of the hidden object line. Looked online for information about this and while reading the information, keylogger popped into my mind because I do not have any secured protection vaults or anything like that on this system. Confused, so can someone please assist me in determining if this is a good thing or a bad thing? If it is a bad thing, please direct me to the proper forum to fix this problem.

Excuse me, I need to take an aspirin. :)

Start of the scan: Friday, February 04, 2011 06:52

Starting search for hidden objects.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1563985344-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider\S-1-5-21-1935655697-1563985344-682003330-1003\data
[NOTE] The registry entry is invisible.

Thank You in advance for you help.

Castoffpolite

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Hi,
It may not be too sinister, I found a ref to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider" in this Microsoft site fix for Outlook / Outlook Express see "
Method 3: Back up your registry and remove the user account information from the "Protected Storage System Provider" subkey. " http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Using Windows XP
Show Hidden Program or System Files

Showing hidden files can come in handy—for example, say you've tried to delete everything from a floppy disk and the disk properties still indicate 100K of disk space is being used by hidden files.
To see hidden files:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
2. Click the View tab.
3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
You can try this method to see your 'hidden files'

Thank You -
EDITED for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 04 February 2011 - 05:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users