Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I remove a large video file?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:31 PM

I have a large video file that is over 3GB. To delete it from my documents I had to have my files as a list not icons, but now it's in my recycle bin and the computer can not delete it even when it is in list form not icons. The OS is Vista. How can I get rid of this massive file?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2011 - 08:10 AM.
Moved from Audio & Video to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:10 AM

You can remove any file in the Recycle Bin...by right-clicking on desktop Recycle Bin icon and clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

The size of the file has nothing to do with ability to delete.

Louis

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

You can remove any file in the Recycle Bin...by right-clicking on desktop Recycle Bin icon and clicking Empty Recycle Bin.

The size of the file has nothing to do with ability to delete.

Louis

That was the first thing I did. It can not remove it that way. Clicking empty or delete does the same thing - it tries, but it never gets anywhere.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:41 AM

It could just be a phantom entry. Have you rebooted since last trying to empty the recycle bin? If so, boot to safe mode and see if you can delete it from there.

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

It could just be a phantom entry. Have you rebooted since last trying to empty the recycle bin? If so, boot to safe mode and see if you can delete it from there.

Yeah, it's been in the recycle bin for about 2 weeks now. I'll try booting in safe mode.

#6 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:58 AM

Booting in safe mode worked - the file went. Thanks! :)

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:03 AM

You're welcome :)

#8 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

Always remember to reboot sometime after an install/uninstall, and it always helps if you get stuck like that again, try rebooting and getting rid in Safe Mode.

P.S We're always here to help !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Always remember to reboot sometime after an install/uninstall, and it always helps if you get stuck like that again, try rebooting and getting rid in Safe Mode.

I always do reboot after that, but this wasn't something I installed or uninstalled, it was a normal file. In future I will always try safe mode though. Although having said that, last time I tried to uninstall a program rebooting didn't help and I did a system restore, but it still didn't completely solve my problem. There are still odd random files for the program. My computer just likes keeping random files I guess :P

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Actually, what you should do in the future is bypass the recycle bin when deleting a large file that you know you won't want to resurrect (either hold down the SHIFT key and press delete or: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320031)

Edited by Allan, 05 February 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Actually, what you should do in the future is bypass the recycle bin when deleting a large file that you know you won't want to resurrect (either hold down the SHIFT key and press delete or: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320031)

Good point. I will set it to bypass it in future and enter safe mode if for any reason a file still won't go. Hopefully won't have any files of that size again though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users