Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop over-heating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I have a very strange problem with my laptop and I'm wondering of someone can help me.

It seems to be over-heating a lot lately, and sometimes to the point of spontaneously shutting down. This can happen if I have as few as one application open at a time, even if that application is sitting idle. I can tell by the way the fan keeps kicking into high gear. It revs like crazy.

One very strange thing I've noticed is that it usually occurs when I have internet explorer open. In fact, the fan calms down significantly if I open notepad and start working in that even if internet explorer is still open in the background. But as soon as I go back to internet explorer, the fan kicks in again.

A few things I've considered:

* My power cable is partly damaged. There is a spot where the metal fibres are exposed and a few of them are severed. This made me think that maybe the computer has to suck more power through the other fibres that are still intact and this higher rate of power might be causing some over-heating. I don't have a battery, so I can't really test this one out.

* My computer's insides might need some cleaning. There might be a lot of dust build up, and some of it might be clogging up the ventilation. This is something I can check myself (and I will), but I'd still appreciate some feedback if you have other suggestions.

* I had a virus on my computer a while back and I thought I got rid of it until recently. I recently found that it is still there. I'm wondering if its causing my CPU to be overworked with unnecessary (and malicious) programs that are running unnoticed.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pachm

pachm

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

download speed fan and post results, we will go from there

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:55 PM

Here are my suggestions.

I do not know what you have for virus and or malware scanner programs.

I suggest for the most part you try the following programs to detect and remove any infections you may have.

MS Security essentials http://www.microsoft.com/SECURITY_ESSENTIALS/

Spybot search & destroy http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

Norman Malware Cleaner http://www.norman.com/support/support_tools/58732/

Malwarebytes Anti malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Super Anti-Spyware http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE

Make sure you update each program before scanning with them so they have the current definitions available.

You may need more advanced help from our experienced malware removal team here at Bleepingcomputer, they are one of the best teams around the web! :thumbup2:

Your laptop may also be heating up do to dust build-up on the inside of your laptop.

Try purchasing a can of compressed air that comes with the plastic straw and point the end into the various air vents of the laptop, just make certain, that the straw is not blown into the laptop with any force, as they can sometimes be blown out of the spray nozzle.

If you want to monitor what is running on your computer in the back-ground, you can download and run process explorer or auto runs, the links are provided below and each site explains what the programs do and how to use them.

Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

I hope this information helps you and I wish you seccess with getting things back to normal again.

Kind regards as always..

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

download speed fan and post results, we will go from there

I'm not sure what you want to see in the report. It says:

HD0: 39C
Temp1: 36C
Core: between 45C and 50C (with a little fire icon popping up at 50C).

Over at charts, it shows relatively the same thing. Temp1 is very flat, HD0 fluctuates between 39C and 40C, and core seems to correlate with the amount of activity I cause when working (it peeked at about 60C when I was opening several websites at the same time).

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:50 PM

Your hard drive temp is fine. But the cpu temp is concerning as you said it would go to 60C when opening several websites. What is the model of your laptop?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

It's a Compaq presario R4000

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:15 AM

You should buy a can of compressed air as Bruce mentioned. Blow it out these area:
Back-Side View
Posted Image
Right-Side View
Posted Image

Blow it in those vents.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 Jesse8931

Jesse8931

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

You should buy a can of compressed air as Bruce mentioned. Blow it out these area:
Back-Side View
Posted Image
Right-Side View
Posted Image

Blow it in those vents.

The way the heatsinks are designed blowing into them wont help.

Also that is a full size p4 desktop chip inside there 60c is idle temp for those.

If the op is capable of taking apart the computer he can clean the heatsinks and reapply thermal paste and that should help.

Edited by Jesse8931, 06 February 2011 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users