Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Howdy

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dobraf

dobraf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Hello all. I suppose this will be my home for the next few days. Thanks in advance for all your help!

I'm Brad. I live and go to graduate school in Dallas. I'm engaged to a lovely, yet dangerously-naive-when-it-comes-to-the-internet, girl who doesn't want her name printed here. We have a tiny dog who stares uncomfortably at us (uncomfortable for us, not him), and right now we're dogsitting another tiny dog who's not familiar with bathroom etiquette. I've got a million other things to do, but I find myself in a downward spiral of computer problems.

I am somewhat proficient when it comes to computers. I've fixed problems here and there before, but mainly by Googling something, noting that hundreds of people have had the same issue, and following the steps they took. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But when people who're clueless see me pull up say, a command prompt, they think I'm some sort of H4X0R!!1! So I get a reputation for being "good at computers" when in fact I'm maybe a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10 (proficiency, not hotness. on the hotness scale I'm at least a 3). But I guess to someone who is a 1, a 2 is a god.

As for stuff I've "fixed," it's all been pretty simple. My finacee got a virus once that I may or may not have eliminated by restoring to an earlier point. A friend kept getting the blue screen of death when he plugged in his majic-jack, which just required updating the driver for the usb drives. My future mother-in-law had a slow computer which just required uninstalling a ton of needless software and shoring up her startup programs list. Again, simple stuff.

But the reason I'm here is way out of my league. I'll report on that in another post. But for now, it's nice to meet you all, and I look forward to accepting your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users