Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will not boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HCOutfitters

HCOutfitters

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

After cleaning off some malware from bosses computer, rebooted and now all i get is an error:
PXE-E53: NO BOOT FILE NAME RECEIVED.
BC_loader ()== 0053

The computer will not let me boot into safe mode or any mode for that matter. I have done a little research and many have suggested booting into the bios but it will not let me do that either no matter how much I push F2. It seems that the computer is trying to boot via a network instead of the hard drive from what others have said. I am at a loss of what to do at this point since I cannot boot into the bios.

Any suggestions? Running windows xp professional

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

In the BIOS under LANNET (local area network network)
you should be able to fix that. I was reading up another forum and thats the solution that fixed it.

PXE is a network thing, you have to boot from HDD, you should be able to get into bios before booting, it come before that part, are you sure its F2 to get into BIOS?

Whats computer model/make?

You said boss's computer so I think its a company, and most have Dell, which is F2 but its weird its not working.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 HCOutfitters

HCOutfitters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:45 PM

it is actually a gateway, most of our computers are dell.

when i hit f2 i get a blue screen with messages on it that just blinks for a second and then it goes back to trying to restart. Any suggestions for getting into the bios?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

It's trying a network boot...because the CMOS battery probably needs to be replaced. When the battery weakens, some CMOS settings start to change. The network boot is often the default on OEM systems.

Louis

#5 HCOutfitters

HCOutfitters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

got into the bios. had to hit f1 at one second intervals when powering up (just some fyi).

changing the bios and it still didn't boot. I was then able to change to the option of booting to last known operating and that worked.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:11 AM

Awesome, congrats. And i learned from Hamluis about CMOS quirks, so thats always good :)
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users