Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection acting unstable

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ram D

Ram D

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hi

New to this forum but not a novice in tinkering with computers so please bear with me if I'm violating some forum rules I'm ignorant of at the moment.

I have a Dell PC with 64 bit Windows 7 installed, a yr old with 6GB of RAM, tons of HD space and a 22Mbps Verizon Fios wired internet connection to the back of an Actiontek MI424-WR wireless router.
Avast antivirus, spybot s&d and Comodo firewall on board and active with all shields up.

Life was grand with blazing fast internet, browsing, streaming video/netflix, gaming, downloads, etc.

4 days ago Avast popped up a red box: Whistler@MBR rootkit virus detected.

I confirmed with an MBR scan, unable to rewrite the boot sector with MBR or Combofix, finally got rid of it by booting from the Windows 7 OEM DVD and exectuting the /fixMbr from the command prompt screen (bootfix.exe I think? Can't remember now). After that I confirmed with MBR and a boot-time scan of Avast that the virus had cleared. Well at least I think it has because I can't find a trace of it now.

Here's the problem:
Ever since that minute I rebooted and everything looked clear my internet connection has been... "unstable". Here are the symptoms:

- websites would load in an instant sometimes and other times the browser status bar keeps "looking for www.example.com..." for several seconds before the site loads.
- when website ARE loading I hop on speedtest.net and test my speed: always above 20Mbps download and at least 5 Mbps upload, ping times around 50ms
- Downloading one file may go ok, downloading several at once would completely kill the connection with no internet available to any of my applications (browser, google desktop, etc)
- Youtube or other streaming videos are very slow with almost constant "buffering" and little blips of buffer every now and then
- Although my network adapter never disconnects from the router, disabling and renabling the network adapter does remedy the problem... temporarily. Same thing if I turn off the router and wait for 10 minutes or hit the reset switch at the back of the router. Connection is back to normal for a few minutes/maybe an hour and then same issues comes up with the same triggers I mentioned above.

I have an Acer netbook with Vista installed and the same thing happens with that computers wireless connection, downloads stall and videos very slow, speedtest.net speeds >15 Mbps download on multiple repeat tests.

I dont think it's my browser since IE and Chrome don't fair any better.
I don't think it's my computer since the netbook was never on during this whole virus thing and now has the same issue.
On the other hand this all happened after the virus hit and so that can't be a coincidence can it?
But if it is my computer then why is the netbook also affected and why does turning off the router for 10 minutes or disabling/renabling the network adapter solve the problem??

I've also tried rolling back my network adapter driver, uninstalling/reinstalling it, changing the network adapter setting to 100 Full duplex instead of Auto... same problem.

I'm perplexed at this point!
Is it the router: I asked Verizon to send me a new router that should arrive next week.
Is it my computer: Because of my OEM windows 7, doing a repair install is not an option, I'd have to do a clean install and reinstall all my software.

Anybody knows anything else I may have missed or can try short of doing a clean install?
Why would the internet connection behave this way?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram D

Ram D
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Update:
Now with Comodo firewall completely off, internet acting absolutely normal!

Could the virus or combofix have altered my firewall in such a way to be causing the issue?

P.S. windows completely uptodate via automatic updates

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:24 PM

Hello,

In order to address your issues, we need a deeper look into the machine. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users