Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply barely meets graphic card specs. Not advisable?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

There is an XFX graphics card I am interested in. The specs say 'Minimum 500 watt power supply recommended.' I have a 500 watt power supply. Is this pushing the limits of what the power supply can do? The only gaming I do is flight simulator software from early 2000's. And I don't do any heavy multi-media stuff

Also, if I need to upload drivers for a new video card, will it take a very long time to upload with dial-up connection?

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:44 AM

We would need the make and model of the PSU, and the model of the graphics card to answer your question.

It would also help to know that make and model of your computer.

There are several reasons that come to mind.

Does your computer have the proper expansion slot for this card?

Is the room for it in the case?

The PSU may be rated at 500W, but is this peak Watts?

What is the requirement of the graphics card for amperage?

Does the card require a 12V power connector?

Does the PSU have that connector if it is needed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Since you're not a hard-core gamer, more than likely your current PS will handle things fine. If you have your RAM maxed out, overclocked CPU, multiple hard drives, extra fans, etc... then maybe not. The physical things that dc3 mentioned may be a factor if your computer is older or you have a compact case or something like that.

Personally, I would try it and consider upgrading the PS only if I encountered issues.

Just about everything takes forever over dialup.

Edited by strolln, 04 February 2011 - 11:03 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Can you guys check this inquiry tonight or tomorrow? I can answer all your questions when I get home. I'm at work now. Thanks

#5 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Just disregard my original questions.

Another concern came up, and maybe someone can answer this question.
I have an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE Micro ATX motherboard. Will a dual-slot graphics card fit on this board? I did some measurements. But I can't tell for sure. It might be a really tight squeeze if I move the dial-up modem card to the far right slot.

Edited by skymaster191, 04 February 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#6 Jesse8931

Jesse8931

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

It will be a tight fit.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

It depends if this new graphics card uses 1 or 2 slot. If it uses 1 slot then you just might be able to squeeze it in but i reckon you should place the dial up card in the second pci slot.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Well, a dual slot is about 1.5 inches wide. If I move the dial-up modem card to the far right slot, it looks like the new video card would still be touching or it would stand a hair's breadth away from the back of the modem card. Whatever the case, seems that it might raise a cooling issue with the two cards touching or almost touching. I know it will fit in my case at least

You know, I researched PC building exhaustively before I built my new computer. I thought I covered all the angles including leaving room to expand future hardware options. And still I overlooked something. I suppose I could blow more money on an exterior USB modem. That should leave room for a dual-slot card.

Edited by skymaster191, 05 February 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Once again, it would help if you post the model of this XFX graphics card.

If you use the PCI slot farthest from from the PCI-C slot the component side of the board will be facing away from the other slots. So with what we understand so far, it should fit. If this is a dual slot graphics card it should take up the space of the PCI-E and the PCI slot next to it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

This is one of the graphics cards I am looking at:

EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) SSC+ 1GB 256-bit .........

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

This goes back to my original questions regarding the manufacturer and model of the PSU. That graphics card requires a minimum of 450W with a 12V rail rated at 24A.

It is a single slot card, so there shouldn't be any problem with it fitting in the micro ATX case and still be able to use the other expansion slots.

#12 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

I sort of altered the priority of my original inquiry.

Are you sure this EVGA card is single slot? It sure looks dual-slot to me. Tiger Direct says it is dual-slot too.

Let me answer all the original questions?

1. It is an Antec Earthwatts EA-500D power supply with 500 watts continuous power

2. Don't really have a make/model computer. I built my own PC

3. If it helps, it has an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE micro ATX motherboard

4. AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz socket AM3 processor.......with 4GB Kingston RAM

5 Yes, my PC has the correct PC Express 2.0 X 16 slot

6. Yes, I checked the dimensions and case will accommodate the proposed EVGA graphics card.

7. My current PSU has in excess of 24A......for the 12 volt rails. This PSU has all the required connectors

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

I Googled this the other day and found the following:

EVGA GeForece GTX460 ssc+ 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 20 Graphics…

Pine XFX Radeon HD 5770 Single Slot 1GB DDR5 PCIe, + EVGA GeForce GTX460

EVGA 01G-O3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) SSC+ 1gb 256-BIT GDDR5 PCI Epress 2.0 ,,, PCI Express 2.0 compliant motherboard with on x16 graphics slot

EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) SSC+ 1GB 256-bit slot - Google Search

But... If you look at the picture below it's obviously a dual slot card. This image was found a EVGA's web site.

The difference between dual and single slot cards is how much room the cooling fan takes up. If you use the link to EVGA and view the images you can readily see that this card has a fan that extends into the next slot.

Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 07 February 2011 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users