Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply or Fan(s)?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jarriaga27

jarriaga27

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

System Info:
HP D530 USDT (DS053A)
Pentium 4 Processor 2400 Mhz
System Bios 786B1 v1.14
Chassis s/n 2UB4170017
Power Supply Part# L1520F3P

Hello,
I started to follow the instructions from this site on cleaning up my infected pc. I realized I had two antivirus programs on at once. Well, actually, i had previously uninstalled symantec but not all of it uninstalled. i went to use the norton removal tool. It finished and i clicked the button that said restart. It shut down and a few minutes later I noticed that the screen was stil black and the computer was on. I turned it off holding down the power button. Rebooted, it passed the windows splash screen but that's it. Screen stayed black at that point.

There is only one account on the PC and there's no login password so once I heard the windows tune like windows actually loaded but I couldn't see anything.

I tried all boot modes - safe, safe with networking, etc. I did the boot logging and it found bad sectors or whatever it's called. I assumed all was good but still it just wouldn't load. Everytime it got stuck I shut it down with the power button. I cringed everytime because i know that's not good for the pc and the pc lights were flickering in and out.

**The last time i tried to boot i noticed the short beep and the error message - "915 Fan Power From Power Supply Not Connected".

I opened the PC enclosure and saw that the fan was working although i didn't see it located near the power supply. I'm wondering if there's another fan near the power supply I can't see. Everything is screwed down and Im not sure what to do first. I had moved some wires and saw the P4 wire disconnected, for the CPU i think it was, and put it back in. I don't know if i accidentally took it out at that time or if it has been disconnected. i tried to reboot but this didn't solve it either.

Please advise on what is the first thing i should do to diagnose this problem and get the computer back up so i can complete the software/virus problems. (One of the issues is that somehow the windows xp copy is now coming up as invalid. The windows XP key is on the case so im wondering if someone else took that key and now my license is not valid....)

I attached a pic of the power supply. if pics of the inside of the pc are needed please let me know.

Your assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

is there a fan inside the power supply? (DO NOT open it, just look through the grating)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 jarriaga27

jarriaga27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:24 PM

I don't see one - i would imagine it would be up against the crate to push the air out/in. When I look in i just get a view into the power supply board area with stuff connected to it.

Edited by jarriaga27, 03 February 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

The psu fan is usually located where you plug the power cable in.
Posted Image

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

its a custom power supply killer if you look at the photo. Chances are, something is messed up in the boot sequence-was someone helping you with your virus removal?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 jarriaga27

jarriaga27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:31 AM

can u tell me what the boot sequense is supposed to be? i might have changed that setting. I'm not getting help with the antivirus removal - just from the information posted online.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:20 PM

I usually recomend people set their CD/DVD drives to boot first, then boot from hard drives. Tell me-can you get into your BIOS?

picard5.jpg

#8 jarriaga27

jarriaga27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

I can get into any of the F options. f8, f9, f10, f12... thanks, I did change boot order back to cd first then the hard disk then usb then floppy. tried to start it back up and didn't get passed the windows xp splash screen. i also plugged the computer direct into the wall outlet. didn't make a difference.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

Have you tried repairing the windows startup? (hit f8 on boot and choose startup repair or boot from windows disc and choose startup repair) try that and see if it helps.

picard5.jpg

#10 Jesse8931

Jesse8931

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

System Info:
HP D530 USDT (DS053A)
Pentium 4 Processor 2400 Mhz
System Bios 786B1 v1.14
Chassis s/n 2UB4170017
Power Supply Part# L1520F3P

Hello,
I started to follow the instructions from this site on cleaning up my infected pc. I realized I had two antivirus programs on at once. Well, actually, i had previously uninstalled symantec but not all of it uninstalled. i went to use the norton removal tool. It finished and i clicked the button that said restart. It shut down and a few minutes later I noticed that the screen was stil black and the computer was on. I turned it off holding down the power button. Rebooted, it passed the windows splash screen but that's it. Screen stayed black at that point.

There is only one account on the PC and there's no login password so once I heard the windows tune like windows actually loaded but I couldn't see anything.

I tried all boot modes - safe, safe with networking, etc. I did the boot logging and it found bad sectors or whatever it's called. I assumed all was good but still it just wouldn't load. Everytime it got stuck I shut it down with the power button. I cringed everytime because i know that's not good for the pc and the pc lights were flickering in and out.

**The last time i tried to boot i noticed the short beep and the error message - "915 Fan Power From Power Supply Not Connected".

I opened the PC enclosure and saw that the fan was working although i didn't see it located near the power supply. I'm wondering if there's another fan near the power supply I can't see. Everything is screwed down and Im not sure what to do first. I had moved some wires and saw the P4 wire disconnected, for the CPU i think it was, and put it back in. I don't know if i accidentally took it out at that time or if it has been disconnected. i tried to reboot but this didn't solve it either.

Please advise on what is the first thing i should do to diagnose this problem and get the computer back up so i can complete the software/virus problems. (One of the issues is that somehow the windows xp copy is now coming up as invalid. The windows XP key is on the case so im wondering if someone else took that key and now my license is not valid....)

I attached a pic of the power supply. if pics of the inside of the pc are needed please let me know.

Your assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Is the machine still giving out that error message ?

Also did you buy this machine new and if so have you ever hard it repaired and if so what was done?

#11 jarriaga27

jarriaga27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

I turned it on just now and i still got that error. the machine is not new - i think it was originally leased. the hard drive looks pretty new. i havent done any repairs on it. the only thing ive done is added antimalware and antispyware software - tried to run that. the last i tried to do was use the nortin removal tool. when it required the mandatory reboot it never came back up. i guess its not related though because of the fan error at the beginning. im so confused.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

Have you tried the startup repair yet? it may take awhile.

picard5.jpg

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:07 AM

its a custom power supply killer if you look at the photo. Chances are, something is messed up in the boot sequence-was someone helping you with your virus removal?

That is the smallest psu i've ever seen, never knew that people would make custom psu. Startup repair usually does the trick when the OS doesn't boot up after a restart.

Edited by killerx525, 05 February 2011 - 08:08 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#14 jarriaga27

jarriaga27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

can you tell me how the startup repair works and how to do it? the cd drive does not work so whatever i have to do has to be downloaded to a usb drive. also, i forgot to post in my last message that I am still able to access any of the 'f' options including bios.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

The_Patriot11 wrote...

its a custom power supply killer if you look at the photo.

The following will help clarify just what this PSU is.

The Small Form Factor (SFF) designation is used to describe a number of smaller power supplies, such as the SFX12V (SFX stands for Small Form Factor), CFX12V (CFX stands for Compact Form Factor), LFX12V (LFX stands for Low Profile Form Factor) and TFX12V (TFX stands for Thin Form Factor). They are all smaller than the standard ATX12V form factor power supply in terms of physical size. SFF power supplies need to be installed in corresponding SFF computer cases.

Edited by dc3, 05 February 2011 - 12:15 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users